Urdu: does ترشنا exist?

MonsieurGonzalito

Spanish
Hello, friends.
I am finished transcribing the whole song "Afreen" in Urdu (the most recent pop version from Coke Studio). In one part, the singer praises the "sculpted (carved, hewn) body" of her beloved, and the word used for that is "tarshaa", which suggests a verb "tarshnaa".
However, I could only find "taraashnaa" in dictionaries.
Could someone please tell me whether or not "tarshnaa" exists? Is "taraashnaa" some sort of causative counterpart?

My transliteration (all the words exist in dictionaries):
جِسم تراشا ہوا دِل کش او دِلنشین ..... (Her) sculpted body, heart-alluring, oh, heart-fascinating!
صندلی صندلی مرمریں مرمریں ......... Like sandalwood, like marble (alabaster)

Coke Studio's, (for reference only, it seems to have other mistakes):
جسم ترشا ہوا دلکش و دلنشیں
صندلیں صندلیں مرمریں مرمریں

• MonsieurGonzalito

Spanish
    tarashnaa does indeed exist.
    I am sorry, I utilized for transliterating a very inopportune schwa-deleting technique that made my question confusing.

To clarify: we know that
    تراشنا
    तराशना
    exist.

Do
    ترشنا
    तरशना
    also exist?

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    My transliteration (all the words exist in dictionaries):
    جِسم تراشا ہوا دِل کش او دِلنشین ..... (Her) sculpted body, heart-alluring, oh, heart-fascinating!
    صندلی صندلی مرمریں مرمریں ......... Like sandalwood, like marble (alabaster)

Coke Studio's, (for reference only, it seems to have other mistakes):
    جسم ترشا ہوا دلکش و دلنشیں
    صندلیں صندلیں مرمریں مرمریں
    To sum it up, Urdu transitive verb تراشنا (taraashnaa) derives from Persian Present Verbal Stem تراش (taraash) infinitive تراشیدن (taraashiidan) and shows all the characteristics of a simple verb, including the intransitive ترشنا tarashnaa, and causative ترشوانا tarashwaanaa forms.

By the way, it may sound surprising to you that mistakes are there in your version while the one given for reference is correct. All differences, barring the use of diacritics e.g. zer ﹻ in جسم -> جِسم, from the correct text are unfortunately mistakes.
    EDIT: ترشا is correct here, تراشا isn't (and throws the whole thing out of metre, too).

Last edited:

MonsieurGonzalito

Spanish
    Thank you, @desi4life , @marrish

By the way, it may sound surprising to you that mistakes are there in your version while the one given for reference is correct. All differences, barring the use of diacritics e.g. zer in جسم -> جِسم, from the correct text are unfortunately mistakes.
    Oh nooo :(!!
    So دلکش is a simple word, صندلیں ends with nun-gunna, and "oh" (interjection) is spelled "و"?

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    Oh nooo :(!!
    So دلکش is a simple word, صندلیں ends with nun-gunna, and "oh" (interjection) is spelled "و"?
    دلکش is the same kind of compound noun like دلنشین .
    صندلیں ends with nuun-e-Ghunnah indeed. Both forms exist, I think, but صندلی in Persian means 'a chair' :)
    There is also no interjection "او".
    This word is spelled 'و'.
    There must have been a thread or two dedicated to it.

< Previous | Next >