Urdu, Hind: ek/kaii nam, kaii ruup

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
Friends,

What is the general idea in the expressions: "ek ruup, kaii naam", or "kaii naam, kaii ruup"?
Is there an idiomatic value, or should be translated literally (one/many form/s, many names)?

Examples:

kaii naam kaii ruup mere rom rom meN jaage
jag saaraa mujh ko bas apnaa apnaa laage
(from the song "Aaja Re Moray Saiyaan")

ek ruup kaii naam man maNdir tērā ghaam
jivaan denaa jivaan lenaa yahii teraa ghaam
(from the song "Ek Rup Kai Nam" of the movie "Swami Dada" interpreted by Kishore Kumar)

• marrish

اُردو Urdu
    eg. despite being in a unitary state/singular/solitary/just one/only one;particular;identical form you're called differently/known under many different names...
    In spite of numerous names your form is the same.
    You're one [in form] but your names are many
    You look alike but are called differently.
    ka'ii naam ka'ii ruup, yes, I'd take it to mean maybe [memories of] several names and figures

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    No, it's a cliché, it is idiomatic, but not metaphoric perhaps. But it's all just my 2 cents and you'd surely prefer waiting for a bettter answer.

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    I don't know if you'll find it on-topic but I think it's worth noting here that the national motto (I'm not certain of the precise local term) of the Indian Republic reads "अनेकता में एकता" anektaa meN ektaa (or एकता में अनेकता, I'm not certain again).

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    Oh, I see. The general idea of unity within the diversity, e pluribus unum, of multiple names for the same essence, et cetera.
    I think I get the sense and background of the expressions now
    Thanks again, @marrish

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    That's the general gist of things, yes, but you shouldn't forget the underlying religious aspect.
    रूप एक नाम एनेक, or,
    ایشور ﷲ تیرو نام سب کو سَنْمتی دے بھگوان (بابائے قوم مہاتما گاندھی کا منظّم بھجن)۔ ईश्वर अल्लाह तेरो नाम सब को संमति दे भगवान (बाबा-ए-क़ौम महात्मा गाँधी का मुनज़्ज़म भजन).

Last edited: