Urdu, Hindi: جلوه گاہِ ناز / जलवा गाह-ए-नाज़

< Previous | Next >

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
Friends,

What is گاہِ ناز / गाह-ए-नाज़, as used in the following stanza of the Coke Studio song "Hairaan Hua"?

हमें भी जलवा गाह-ए-नाज़ तक लेते चलो मूसा
ہمیں بھی جلوہ گاہِ ناز تک لیتے چلو موسیٰ​
तुम्हीं ग़श आ गया तू हसन-ए-जानाँ कौन देखेगा
تمہیں غش آ گیا تو حسنِ جاناں کون دیکھے گا​

The translation given at Coke Studio is "place of beauty" (positive), but I thought naaz was more like conceit, [coquetry] arrogance (negative)
I also found it inside what seems to be a bigger izafat "جلوہ گاہِ ناز" in this anonymous couplet and here on Rekhta.

ख़ुदा जाने ये किस की जलवा गाह-ए-नाज़ है दुनिया
خدا جانے یہ کس کی جلوہ گاہِ ناز ہے دنیا​
हज़ारों उठ गए कसरत वही बाक़ी है महफ़िल की
ہزاروں اٹھ گئے کثرت وہی باقی ہے محفل کی​

Bottom line, is it a good of a bad thing?
Thanks in advance for any clarification.

• MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    I believe I found the answer, by continuing to analyze the "Hairaan Hua" song.
    It is of Sufi inspiration, and the rest of the song constantly makes word plays using the common meaning of a word, and the special Sufi meaning of the same word, or an izafat involving the word.

For example:
    • it uses the word हश्र / حشر as both "tumult, multitude, gathering" and also as the gathering or the "day of judgement" (sar-e-hashr)
    • ti uses the word غمزہ / ग़म्ज़ा as both "amorous, coquettish glance, wink" and as some changes in one's inner life that, according to the Sufis, are caused when God casts his "eye" on us
    • in the same sense, for Sufis, apparently, ناز / नाज़ means something like "divinity", God's characteristic.
    So Coke Studio's translation of "gaah-e-naaz" as "Place of Beauty" seems quite acceptable without having to make extensive footnotes.
    It is both a "place of seduction" and a "place of divinity".

(Or so I think, I don't know much about Urdu or Sufism, just applying some common sense)

Last edited:

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    What is wrong with गाह-ए-नाज़ for گاہِ ناز (gaah-e-naaz) ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alfaaz

English
    Relevant background information:

Urdu and English translations of Ayah 143 from سُوۡرَةُ الاٴعرَاف:

اور جب موسیٰ ہمارے مقرر کیے ہوئے وقت پر (کوہ طور) پر پہنچے اور ان کے پروردگار نے ان سے کلام کیا تو کہنے لگے کہ اے پروردگار مجھے (جلوہ) دکھا کہ میں تیرا دیدار (بھی) دیکھوں۔ پروردگار نے کہا کہ تم مجھے ہرگز نہ دیکھ سکو گے۔ ہاں پہاڑ کی طرف دیکھتے رہو اگر یہ اپنی جگہ قائم رہا تو تم مجھے دیکھ سکو گے۔ جب ان کا پروردگار پہاڑ پر نمودار ہوا تو (تجلی انوارِ ربانی) نے اس کو ریزہ ریزہ کردیا اور موسیٰ بےہوش ہو کر گر پڑے۔ جب ہوش میں آئے تو کہنے لگے کہ تیری ذات پاک ہے اور میں تیرے حضور توبہ کرتا ہوں اور جو ایمان لانے والے ہیں ان میں سب سے اول ہوں (۱۴۳)

مترجم: فتح محمد جالندھری
    اور جب موسیٰ عليه ٱلسَّلام ہمارے وقتِِ (موعود) پر آئے اور ان کے رب نے ان سے (بہت ہی لطف و عنایت کی) باتیں کی تو عرض کیا کہ اے میرے پروردگار اپنا دیدار مجھ کو دکھلا دیجئیے کہ میں آپ کو ایک نظردیکھ لوں ارشاد ہوا کہ تم مجھ کو (دنیا میں) ہرگز نہیں دیکھ سکتے لیکن تم اس پہاڑ کی طرف دیکھتے رہو سو اپنی جگہ پر برقرار رہا تو (خیر) تم بھی دیکھ سکو گے پس ان کے رب نے جو اس پر بجلی فرمائی (تجلّی نے) اس پہاڑ کے پرخچے اُڑادیے اور موسیٰ عليه ٱلسَّلام بیہوش ہوکر گرپڑے پھر جب افاقہ میں ہُوئے تو عرض کیا بےشک آپ کی ذات منزّہ (اور رفیع) ہے میں آپ کی جناب میں معذرت کرتا ہوں اور سب سے پہلے میں اس پر یقین کرتا ہوں۔ (۱۴۳)

مترجم: اشرف علی تھانوی
    اور جب موسیٰ ہمارے مقرر کردہ وقت پر آئے اور ان کے رب نے ان سے باتیں کیں تو عرض کیا کہ اے میرے رب مجھے دکھا کہ میں تجھے دیکھوں فرمایا کہ تو مجھے ہر گز نہیں دیکھ سکتا لیکن تو پہاڑ کی طرف دیکھتا رہ اگر وہ اپنی جگہ پر ٹھہرا رہا تو تو مجھے دیکھ سکے گا پھر جب اس کے رب نے پہاڑ کی طرف تجلی کی تو اس کو ریزہ ریزہ کر دیا اور موسیٰ بے ہوش ہو کر گر پڑے پھر جب ہوش میں آئے تو عرض کی کہ تیری ذات پاک ہے میں تیری جناب میں توبہ کرتا ہوں اور میں سب سے پہلا یقین لانے والا ہوں (۱۴۳)

مترجم: احمد علی
    And when Moses came to Our appointed tryst and his Lord had spoken unto him, he said: My Lord! Show me (Thy Self), that I may gaze upon Thee. He said: Thou wilt not see Me, but gaze upon the mountain! If it stand still in its place, then thou wilt see Me. And when his Lord revealed (His) glory to the mountain He sent it crashing down. And Moses fell down senseless. And when he woke he said: Glory unto Thee! I turn unto Thee repentant, and I am the first of (true) believers. (143)

Translator: Muhammad Marmaduke Pickthall

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    Interesting, thanks, @Alfaaz
    So it is perhaps "a place of display of seduction, a place to watch seduction" (for Sufism: seduction of the divinity).

Last edited:

Alfaaz

English
    I didn't mean to interrupt the discussion and marrish SaaHib can hopefully continue explaining these aspects. In the meantime, it could be said that using the word seduction in this context would not be appropriate.
    MonsieurGonzalito said:
    The translation given at Coke Studio is "place of beauty" (positive) ...
    That is not correct and you have perhaps misread/misremembered. The English translation given is: Moses take us along, too, to the place where Beauty manifests itself.
    MonsieurGonzalito said:
    ... (positive), but I thought naaz was more like conceit, [coquetry] arrogance (negative)
    General note: ناز doesn't always have to be negative. As you might have seen in the dictionary entry, the word can have positive connotations as well. Example from a children's poem:
    اک دن سارا مُلک ہمارا تم پہ ناز کرے گا
    تم میں کوئی قائد اور کوئی اقبال بنے گا
    خواب ہمیشہ اونچے دیکھو چھوٹی بات نہ سوچو

بُرا نہ کہو، بُرا نہ سنو، بُرا نہیں دیکھو
    جب سوچو کسی کے لیے اچھی بات ہی سوچو

از پاکستانی اردو فلم "پیاری" ١٩٨٠

Lastly, here is an example relevant to many of the concepts discussed in this thread (تشریح - page 110, #7):

چھپايا حُسن کو اپنے کليم الله سے جس نے
    وہی ناز آفريں ہے جلوہ پيرا نازنينوں ميں

علامہ اقبال

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    OK, from the first poem I realize that naaz can simply mean "pride".

چھپايا حُسن کو اپنے کليم الله سے جس نے
    وہی ناز آفريں ہے جلوہ پيرا نازنينوں ميں
    This poem from Iqbal, I am unable to translate, sorry

(the interlocutor, i.e. Moses ... God ... hid .. beauty ... pride ... the proud)

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    Someone offered to me a translation:

The one who concealed His beauty from the interlocutor (Moses)
    The same Beloved is manifest in the eyes the beloved.

Alfaaz

English
    Did you get a chance to read the تشریح link? Detailed explanations of all of the couplets are provided there.

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    Did you get a chance to read the تشریح link? Detailed explanations of all of the couplets are provided there.
    Dear Alfaaz Sahib, you are grossly overestimating my comprehension of written Urdu, all the more if manuscript!
    I will get there. Some day.

< Previous | Next >