Urdu-Hindi: دهتكارنا

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
Hi,

In Urdu the verb دهتكارنا dhutkaarnaa has an aspirated "d" in the beginning. What about in Hindi? I was unable to find it but I did find a compound verb that sounded similar: दुत करना. It means "to reprimand; to drive away", just like the Urdu دهتكارنا. Actually, there are three differences:

1. in Urdu it's one word while in Hindi it's a compound verb made of a noun followed by a verb,
2. in Urdu the first letter is aspirated while in Hindi it's not, and
3. in Urdu there is a long a between the k and the r, while in Hindi there's a short a.

Thanks!

• Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    Thank you, Qureshpor! However, there is a long a in both दुतकारना and धुतकारना. Do they both mean the same thing as दुत करना, which is the only way to say it, at least in modern Hindi. I can't speak for the Hindi of the time when हिन्दी शब्दसागर was written.

desi4life

English
    दुतकारना and धुतकारना are certainly used in modern Hindi. दुतकारना is the more common pronunciation of the two in my experience. It is also listed in both Chaturvedi (1974) and Bahri (1989). I’m not sure how you got the impression it’s not used.

Last edited:

aevynn

USA
    English, Hindustani
    And dutkaarnaa (دتکارنا) exists in Urdu as well.

I'm not particularly surprised by d(h)utkaarnaa alternating with something like d(h)ut karnaa or d(h)ut-d(h)ut karnaa, since d(h)ut is the sound one makes to send someone away. There are probably lots of alternations like this — eg, naachte vaqt ghung(h)ruu jhan-jhan bhii karte haiN, aur jhankaarte bhii haiN.

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    दुतकारना and धुतकारना are certainly used in modern Hindi. दुतकारना is the more common pronunciation of the two in my experience. It is also listed in both Chaturvedi (1974) and Bahri (1989). I’m not sure how you got the impression it’s not used.
    Thanks! The Oxford Hindi Dictionary only lists दुत करना, you see.