Urdu/Hindi: ghar kar jaana

MonsieurGonzalito

Spanish
Friends,

What does ghar kar jaana mean in the following context?

سپنا اَیسا دکھایا​
सपना ऐसा दिखाया​
sapnaa aisaa dikhaayaa​
You revealed to me such a dream
کہ نیندوں پہ گھر کر ہی گئے
कि नींदों पे घर कर ही गए
ki niiNdoN pe ghar kar hii gae
that ... on (my) sleep ... ??
جینا اَیسا سکھایا​
जीना ऐसा सिखाया​
jiinaa aisaa sikhaayaa​
You taught me such a life
کہ تم پہ ہم مر ہی گئے​
कि तुम पे हम मर ही गए​
ki tum pe ham mar hii gae​
that I shall die for you.

It belongs to the song "Ram Pam" in Coke Studio. The translation given there is too free to be of any use, IMO.

The Oxford dictionary has ghar jaana as "to be surrounded", but I don't know if it applies here.
Please orient me.

• Alfaaz

English
    Relevant entries in Platts:
    ghar karnā, To build a house; — to fix, settle, or establish a family; to have a family; to take a wife; — to make an abode or a home (in, — meṅ), take up (one's) abode (in the heart of); — to make (oneself) at home, to be on a familiar footing (with)
    dil-meṅ ghar karnā (-ke), 'To take up (one's, or its) abode in the heart (of), to win the heart or affections (of), to contract intimate friendship (with)
    jī-meṅ ghar karnā (-ke), To find a place in one's heart, to make oneself agreeable or acceptable (to), to win one's regard, to please
    āṅkhoṅ-meṅ ghar karnā, āṅkhoṅ-meṅ basnā (-), l t. 'To dwell in the eyes' (of); to win the affections (of), possess the heart (of); to have one's image ever before the eyes (cf. āṅkhoṅ-meṅ phirna); — to blind, hoodwink, deceive; to deny (a fact); to persist in one's own erroneous opinions
    MonsieurGonzalito said:
    The Oxford dictionary has ghar jaana as "to be surrounded", but I don't know if it applies here.
    That is ghir jaanaa.

Potential translation:
    sapnaa aisaa dikhaayaa - You showed such a dream
    keh niiNdoN peh ghar kar hii ga'e - that you just took abode in/conquered/permeated our sleep...?
    jiinaa aisaa sikhaayaa - you taught to live in such a manner
    keh tum peh hum mar hii ga'e - that we fell for you/became enamored of you/became captivated by you

littlepond

Hindi
    Alfaaz jii has already indicated to you how to interpret the phrase. The song on Coke Studio's YouTube channel itself gives another (correct) translation, as well ("That your vision stays with me even as I sleep").

MonsieurGonzalito

Spanish
    Thanks, @littlepond
    Although I recognize the theme of "dreams of you permeating my (physical) sleep".
    (again from "Tere Mast Mast Do Nain", that classic :p: niiNdoN meN ghul gae haiN sapane jo tere)

trying to be as literal as possible, it seems to be an implicit "tum" (and not sapnaa) what agrees with that ga'e
    sapnaa aisaa dikhaayaa
    keh niiNdoN peh ghar kar hii ga'e

in which case @Alfaaz attempt would be more correct, I believe, less interpretative, than Coke Studio's
    In other words, correct me if I am wrong, it is "you" (plural), and not "the dream" or "the vision of you" what makes itself at home in my sleep.

Frau Moore

Deutsch
    Maybe sapnaa was even meant to be the subject of the "keh niiNdoN pe..." sentence............but they needed a "kar gae" instead of a kar gayaa" to rhyme with "mar gae".........and this kar gae of cause corresponds with a "tum".........but it also would correspond with "sapne".........who knows what the author really had in mind. I guess my friend Ajit would even say "don´t expect correct grammar in lyrics".

Anyway: if you have settled in my sleep I´m seeing your vision, so the Coke Studio translation ist not really interpretative but seems to find words that might sound more natural in English, in my opinion.

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    Anyway: if you have settled in my sleep I´m seeing your vision, so the Coke Studio translation ist not really interpretative but seems to find words that might sound more natural in English, in my opinion.
    Fully agree.

littlepond

Hindi
    There is of course an implicit "tum". But the Coke translation is what would sound (more) natural in English. That's all.

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    Friends,

What does ghar kar jaana mean in the following context?

سپنا اَیسا دکھایا​
    सपना ऐसा दिखाया​
    sapnaa aisaa dikhaayaa​
    You revealed to me such a dream
    کہ نیندوں پہ گھر کر ہی گئے
    कि नींदों पे घर कर ही गए
    ki niiNdoN pe ghar kar hii gae
    that ... on (my) sleep ... ??
    جینا اَیسا سکھایا​
    जीना ऐसा सिखाया​
    jiinaa aisaa sikhaayaa​
    You taught me such a life
    کہ تم پہ ہم مر ہی گئے​
    कि तुम पे हम मर ही गए​
    ki tum pe ham mar hii gae​
    that I shall die for you.
    Literally:

Such a dream you (tum) showed [to me]
    "that I (ham) actually made my home "on my sleep(s)" - he's doing nothing but sleeping.

Frau Moore

Deutsch
    Isn´t it a question of interpretation to complete a "ham" or a "tum"? It also makes sense to read it in the sense of "you settled down or made your home or whatsoever in my sleep", in other words, i think of you even when I´m sleeping, your vision is always before my eyes. ..At least the translator of the lyrics also understands it like this.

MonsieurGonzalito

Spanish
    True; as you say, it cannot be deduced from the words alone.
    I like the pattern suggested by the 4 verses as a whole: you do something / I react.
    You show me a dream / I inhabit in my sleep / you reveal to me a life / I die for you

< Previous | Next >