Urdu, Hindi, Persian: non-iron

Sheikh_14

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi
Dear Foreros,

I was wondering how you would refer to non-iron garments I.e. one that do not need to iron as opposed to unironed/non-ironed ones. For instance be-istrii for urdu-phones imparts the impression of being unironed and thereby is not suitable here perhaps. Or is it and would it be different to ghair-istrii? How about laa-istrii or naa-istrii? I would like to see the thought process that Perso-phones go through in this regard too. It would be interesting to note whether existing terms exist.

Regards,
Sheikh

• PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    There may be other terms but it would be something like بی نیاز به اتو/bi niāz bé utu, lit."no need for iron" or "no need to iron"

Sheikh_14

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi
    These are helpful suggestions. What are your thoughts on Laa-istrii (Urdu-phones)? I say that because the arabic prefix Laa in Urdu tends to slightly differ from ghair and be in that it is either an imperative or suggests something incapable of or above something which in this case is being ironed.

For instance you are highly unlikely to refer to unironed clothing as Laa-istrii but you could refer to it as be-istrii, ghair-istrii, baghair istrii or even nah-istrii (with the kiye or shuda omitted for brevity). Perhaps the Shuda is a vital component that changes everything. In that be-istrii vs be-istrii-shuda could have different connotations? I am keen to hear your thoughts without splitting hairs. In my opinion the shuda adds clarity but at the same time can be redundant in certain circumstances. My noggin would veer towards Laa-istrii for non-iron and unironed could be ghair-istrii-shuda or ghair-istrii for short.

Istrii be-niyaaz is another option as our Persophonic sage has suggested. Btw is utuu derived from Persian in Turkish or the other way round because it sounds like a very Turkish term (anyone who can answer from a Persian perspective)?

Istrii ghair-zuruurii is another one. Sadaa-istrii- always ironed. Hamesh-istrii.

Last edited: