Urdu, Hindi, Persian: Sense of belonging

Sheikh_14

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi
Dear Foreros,

I was wondering how you would refer to a sense of belonging in the languages above? As in they finally felt a sense of belonging with the cause as if they belonged. In fact I'm not entirely sure how to refer to belong at all in the languages above. As in this belongs to you, you belong to me. I belong to x, y and z. These are my belongings.

I can attempt to start things off for Urdu/Hindi in EHsaas/Hiss e , but the query is then what, what word/concept would fill the blank provided? Which is why Persian contributions would be seminal here.

Regards,
Sheikh

• cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Hi,
    Is the Arabic word انتماء (or a variation of it) used in any of these languages? I’m asking because I saw you used إحساس/حس so I thought maybe something similar to the Arabic إحساس بالانتماء could maybe exit as well.

Apologies if I’m off the mark.:oops:

Alfaaz

English
    Sheikh_14 said:
    I was wondering how you would refer to a sense of belonging in the languages above? As in they finally felt a sense of belonging with the cause as if they belonged.
    cherine said:
    Is the Arabic word انتماء (or a variation of it) used in any of these languages?
    Yes, انتماء is listed in Urdu Lughat with the meaning of to be منسوب, but perhaps not very commonly used. It could still be a good option for translating the concept.

A few more potential compounds:

• احساسِ قرابت - sense of affinity, propinquity, etc.
    • احساسِ موافقت/مناسبت - sense of concordance, appropriateness, etc.
    • احساسِ تعلق - feeling/sense of relationship, connection, etc.
    • احساسِ شمولیت و قبولیت - feeling/sense of inclusion and acceptance
    • احساسِ وابستگی/پیوندگی/پیوستگی - sense of connection/fitting in
    • احساسِ ہم آہنگی - sense of compatibility
    Let's see what other forum members suggest.

Sheikh_14 said:
    In fact I'm not entirely sure how to refer to belong at all in the languages above. As in this belongs to you, you belong to me. I belong to x, y and z. These are my belongings.
    In such cases, either ملکیت could be used or the sentence might usually be simplified to something like "This is yours.".

Example sentences and translations:

• These things belong to him/her. → These are his/her things.
      • یہ چیزیں/اشیاء اُس کی ملکیت ہیں ← یہ اُس کی چیزیں ہیں
    • These are his/her belongings.
      • یہ اُس کی ملکیت ہے
      • یہ اُس کی چیزیں ہیں۔
      • یہ اُس کی چیزبست/کا سامان ہے
      • یہ اُس کے مال و متاع/اسباب ہیں
      • یہ اُس کے متعلقات ہیں۔۔۔؟
    • They belong to (organization, club, group, etc.)
      • ان کا تعلق ______ سے ہے
      • وہ ______ سے وابستہ/منسلک ہیں

Sheikh_14

Fantastic Alfaaz SaaHib, as per usual in your inimitably comprehensive style. Would you then suggest that personal effects or personal belongings be referred to as any of zaatii-asbaab, zaatii saamaan or apnii/zaatii/xud kii milkiiyat?

I'm also keen on hearing from Perso-phones as to how they define a sense of belonging to a cause.

Sheikh_14

Hiss/EHsaas E rabt, rabtagii, raabtagii also spring to mind as terms that could be coined for the phenomenon of feeling connected. I am still keen to hear the thoughts of our Perso-friends and any other foreros that wants to add their 2 cents or nuggets of wisdom into the mix.