Urdu, Hindi, Persian: Sport, sporting and sportsmanship i.e. behaviour suited to sports or being willing to take on a challenge willingly.

Sheikh_14

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi
Dear Foreros,

There are often terms that develop in a language through its own trajectorys and subtleties which means that they can be fairly untranslatable on occasion but would you say that were the case for being a fabulous 'sport' i.e. someone "who behaves in a good or specified way in response to teasing, defeat, or a similarly trying situation?" A similar term so far as the English language is concerned can be found in sporting in that x or y "was quite sporting and assisted us in the laborious process" which again denotes a willingness to be part of a cause where others may not be so keen or 'sporting'. The dictionary definition of the above is "fair and generous in one's behavior or treatment of others, especially in a contest."

Lastly, whilst sportsmanship isn't entirely related to my train of thought above it to comes off as a term that at least at the outset appears to be difficult to translate. Urdu/Hindi-phones what are your thoughts on milii-bhagat or rabt o zabtagi for sportsmanship? If neither makes the weight in your opinion what would in lieu of the options suggested? The terms that I have suggested both pertain to a sense of unison and camaraderie with a particular cause whether that's to the benefit of both participants or the greater good.

As always transliterations will be much appreciated to ensure an inclusive discussion as that is the purpose of this thread.

Thanks in advance for being so sporting. I look forward to your input

Regards,
Sheikh

• Happu

German
    I don't think the English association between sport/sporting and fair-mindedness/neutrality can be transposed easily into other languages. No wonder, even in my own native language, we use the expression Fair Play.

I can't think of a noun in Hindi, which would express fair play in sports and general fair-mindedness or objectivity in one single package, but maybe a native speaker can? It would be great to hear one. I gather your main intend is to express that someone, despite being of a different opinion, without hesitation accepts majority opinion and assists fairly and squarely along those lines.

One could go about it in a round-about way:

अमोघ निष्पक्ष होने के नाते उन्होंने हमें उस विस्तृत कार्यविधि में बृहत् सहयोग दिया है = amogh niSpaksh hone ke naate unhoNne hameN us vistRit kaaryavidhi meN bRihat sahyog diyaa hai.

"Being unfailingly impartial, he/she has rendered us extensive co-operation in this exhaustive procedure/process."

Of course this sounds very formal as in a corporate speech, but that may have been your intention. Reaching into Hindi's vast treasure chest of synonyms, and to accommodate personal linguistic taste, one could think of numerous permutations of the above sentence.

Native speakers please comment.

Last edited:

Dinraat

Urdu
    amogh niSpaksh hone ke naate unhoNne hameN us vistRit kaaryavidhi meN bRihat sahyog diyaa hai
    Think there's a greater chance of me understanding German than pure Hindi based on this sentence. Just goes on to show how unintelligible Urdu and Hindi can be if spoken properly!

aevynn

USA
    English, Hindustani
    To return to the topic (or maybe just my personal take on the topic?)...
    Wiktionary for 'sport' said:
    3. A person who exhibits either good or bad sportsmanship.
    Jen may have won, but she was sure a poor sport; she laughed at the loser.
    The loser was a good sport, and congratulated Jen on her performance.
    4. Somebody who behaves or reacts in an admirably good-natured manner, e.g. to being teased or to losing a game; a good sport.
    You're such a sport! You never get upset when we tease you.
    Wiktionary for 'good sport' said:
    1. someone who exhibits polite behaviour even or especially when they lose
    2. someone who can take a joke
    Wiktionary for 'poor sport' said:
    1. Someone who exhibits ungracious behaviour during a game, whether winning or losing.
    2. Someone who cannot take a joke.
    I can't think of any single phrase that has exactly the same distribution as English "poor/good sport," but there are lots of colloquial ways of expressing the same ideas depending on the precise context:

For "poor sport": If someone reacts badly to losing, one might say usko haarnaa [aasaanii se] pachtaa nahiiN. If someone reacts badly to winning, you could say things like wo jiitne par itaraane lagtaa hai. Or wo ek baar jiit kyaa gayaa, xud ko daadaa samajhne lag gayaa hai. Or just find a way to use your favorite word to describe someone who's overly boastful (eg, shexii-baaz). If someone reacts badly to being teased, one might say wo zaraa saa bhii mazaaq jhel nahiiN paataa. Or usko mazaaq bilkul bhii samajh nahiiN aataa. Or maybe that the person is saRiyal, bad-mizaaj, GuSSail, etc. Probably others will be able to come up with many more possibilities for each of these scenarios.

For "good sport": If someone can take a joke, one could say wo mazaaq jhel letii hai. Alternatively, being xush-mizaaj, haNs-mukh, etc would probably often entail an ability to cope well with being teased. What colorful and colloquial ways can you all come up with for describing someone who stays humble after winning? Or for describing someone who doesn't get bitter after losing?

Last edited:

littlepond

Hindi
    For "poor sport"
    One can have a word for "poor sport" (though the meaning range is larger than for "poor sport"): "khisiyanTaa," someone who "bohat khisiyaataa hai."

"khisiyaanaa," the verb, in fact is a lovely Hindi word, and I have never really thought of a proper English word that could well translate it.

I can't think of a term for good sport, either.

littlepond

Hindi
    अमोघ निष्पक्ष होने के नाते उन्होंने हमें उस विस्तृत कार्यविधि में बृहत् सहयोग दिया है

Think there's a greater chance of me understanding German than pure Hindi based on this sentence. Just goes on to show how unintelligible Urdu and Hindi can be if spoken properly!

The above sentence in Hindi is quite unintelligible for Hindi speakers, too! (It's an unnatural sentence, apparently made from dictionary vocabulary.) So, don't worry too much, @Dinraat jii!