Urdu/Hindi/Persian: thread (like this one)

< Previous | Next >

marrish

اُردو Urdu
Hi,

I was wondering how to say 'a thread' in the sense of 'a discussion thread of a internet forum' in Urdu.
Searching the forum didn't produce any results, so I'm posting this new 'thread' to ask your opinion.

Obviously, English or other loan-words are not the topic of this thread.

I'm dying of curiosity!

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Hi,

I was wondering how to say 'a thread' in the sense of 'a discussion thread of a internet forum' in Urdu.
    Searching the forum didn't produce any results, so I'm posting this new 'thread' to ask your opinion.

I'm dying of curiosity!
    In another forum, the word "laRii" has been used on a regular basis. "kunjkaavii" se mareN aap ke dushman!

Alfaaz

English
    I remember a long time ago (2008-2010), Faylasoof used a word starting with a ر for the word "thread" in response to a "thread" by either Tod the Bod or teaboy...can't find it! Maybe it was ریشہ Reshah? (Not sure)...:confused:

Edit: Just found this: Thread:
    دھا گا۔ تاگا۔ ڈورا۔ رشتہ۔ ریشہ۔ چوڑی
    سوت۔ تار۔
    لڑی۔ سلسلہ۔ تار۔ سلک
    برا بھلا
    شیطان کی ڈور۔ ہوائی تا گا

Last edited:

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I remember a long time ago (2008-2010), Faylasoof used a word starting with a ر for the word "thread" in response to a "thread" by either Tod the Bod or teaboy...can't find it! Maybe it was ریشہ Reshah? (Not sure)...:confused:

I think you have the word "rishtah" in mind.

P رشته rishta [perf. part. of rishtan, 'to twist'; rt. Zend rić = S. रिच्; cf. S. रेचितः], s.m. Thread, string, line; series; connexion, relationship, kin; relation by blood or marriage; alliance, affinity; the hair-worm or guinea-worm:—rishta-dār, vulg. rishte-dār, s.m. Relation, kinsman; a dependent:—rishta-dārī, vulg. rishte-dārī, s.f. Relationship, alliance, affinity:—rishta karnā (-se), To form a connexion or alliance (with).

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    :)
    Thanks. It should work for both Urdu and Hindi. chaupaal (for forum?) kii laRii, does it sound well?

A bit of searching for Persian resulted in Wikipedia usage of ریسھ for this kind of a thread. I believe our Persian experts can verify this usage.

Alfaaz

English
    I think you have the word "rishtah" in mind.
    Look at Edit above:

Reshah is also given by the dictionary....

Let's see if Faylasoof or someone else can answer this....

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    Thanks for the hint!

سوت۔ تار۔
    لڑی۔ سلسلہ۔ تار۔ سلک
    برا بھلا

Well, which one would you go for?

Jervoltage

Hi,

I'm dying of curiosity!
    ریسه is the word suggested by فرهنگستان زبان و ادب فارسی, though it's not in common usage.

Faylasoof

English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi

سوت۔ تار۔
    لڑی۔ سلسلہ۔ تار۔ سلک
    برا بھلا
    Yes, it was ریشہ reshah ! I've seen it used in other forums too so I think it may not be a bad one to consider.

I wouldn't go for رشتہ rishtah چوڑی or chuuRii (!) or ڈورا Doraa (or Dorii) and the others. In Urdu, سلسلہ silsilah is used for series / TV serials etc.; تار taar and سلک silk are used in either musical instruments or for electric wires / cables and تاگاtaagaa & دھا گا dhaagaa are for tailoring. The rest we can ignore!

But,
    In another forum, the word "laRii" has been used on a regular basis. "kunjkaavii" se mareN aap ke dushman!
    laRii is another one we can go for. We could even keep both reshah and laRii!

Faylasoof

English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Another term we use in Urdu (from Persian) is ریسمان riismaan = thread / cord / string.

If ریشہ reshah sounds too much of a term of botany, animal physiology and anatomy, then ریسمان riismaan isn't.

So now we have three choices: reshah, laRii and riismaan.

The last (riismaan) is hardly used in common language so perhaps we can adopt it as an IT term for 'thread'.

searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Hi,

I'm dying of curiosity!
    For "thread" I will use مبحث or موضوع.

Last edited:

Sheikh_14

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi
    Isn't reshah also used for material i.e. that of fabric? It also appears to be used when you have a sore throat perhaps because you feel there to be thread-like vexation. Also resha also appears to be used for the pulpy threads you find in fruit like oranges and mangos. I'm assuming the Urdu word for fruit juice without pulp and fibrous thread would be be-resha. Resha/reshe-daar being the fibrous pulpy alternative.

< Previous | Next >