Urdu, Hindi, Punjabi: questioning/interrogation

marrish

اُردو Urdu
Greetings,

There is a compound noun used in Urdu with the meaning of ''interrogation; investigation; enquiry'': پوچھ گچھ puuchh-gachh.

In Hindi I have learned that a similar compound noun is used for the same purposes: पूछताछ puuchh-taachh. My presumption is that these two are used predominantly, one in Urdu and the other one in Hindi.I have not yet heard of puuchh-taachh in Urdu.

I hope you find it interesting that I bring this to attention.

What could be the etymology of the second elements in both above mentioned compound nouns? Secondly, may we please share other words that are used for the English questioning/interrogation?

• Alfaaz

English
    marrish said:
    Secondly, may we please share other words that are used for the English questioning/interrogation?
    Interrogation: باز پُرس۔ اِستفسار۔ اِستفہام۔ سوال کُنِندہ کے اِشاری اِرتعاشات۔
    baaz purs, istifsaar, istifhaam, sawaal kunindah ke ishaari irtia'ashaat
    Questioning: پرسش , مواخذہ , جواب طلبی
    pursish , muwaakhazah, jawaab talabi
    Investigation: تفتیش
    tafteesh

Last edited:

Alfaaz

English
    BelligerentPacifist said:
    Even I will NOT use that phrase.
    Any specific reason, BP SaaHib? (The phrase seemed a bit awkward during transliteration, but included it since it is listed in the quoted dictionary/for completeness of the quote.)

Last edited:

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Urdu:

tumhaare xat meN yih salaam kis kaa thaa?
    nah thaa raqiib to aaxir vuh naam kis kaa thaa?

nah puuchh-taachh thii kisii kii nah aa'o-bhagat
    tumhaarii bazm meN kal ihtimaam kis kaa thaa?

daaGh Dihlavii

(UM SaaHib, here is a case of "istinaad", although there are plenty of examples on the net, but a man who spoke "King's Urdu" must have the upper hand!)

marrish SaaHib, as you can see form this quote "puuchh-taachh" does not always imply questioning/interrogation.

Punjabi:

c_huuTh kaahnuuN bolNRaa o meriyaan e gallaaN tusiiN chaNgii taraaN kachh la'o
    aih vekho kol baiThaa e Miira Bashk othe ii sii enuuN tusiiN puchh-pachh la'o

Anwar Mas3uud (From his nazm "Panchaayt")

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    First of all, I'm grateful for the literary evidence. Subsequently let me state that I use the analogic expression which you were so kind to share in Punjabi. puuchh-paachh is certainly used in Urdu and I'm glad to know that puuchh-taachh was used by our masters (Urdu). Anyway, puuchh gachh is what is being used nowadays predominantly in Urdu, I'd like to have the opinion of the Hindi native speakers.

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    I hope BP SaaHib answers for himself, let's wait a day or two. For myself, I'd not use this phrase because it is unidomatic. Never heard of. Too vague. Too long.

Faylasoof

English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Interrogation: باز پُرس۔ اِستفسار۔ اِستفہام۔ سوال کُنِندہ کے اِشاری اِرتعاشات۔
    baaz purs, istifsaar, istifhaam, sawaal kunindah ke ishaari irtia'ashaat
    AlfaaZ SaaHib, apart from پوچھ گچھ puuchh-gachh that marrish SaaHib started off with, I would go for the first three from your list, i.e. باز پُرس baaz-purs استفہام istifhaam , استفسار istifsaar = query, inquiry, interrogation, questioning.

But استنطاق istinTaaq and استجواب istijwaab may also be possible. Though not common but perhaps a way to expand our vocabulary.

Like BP SaaHIb, I too would avoid سوال کُنِندہ کے اِشاری اِرتعاشات and would let him answer for himself, but this phrase would be most appropriate if the interrogation was being conducted in some kind of semaphore flag signalling!

In Hindi:
    पूछताछ puuchh-taachh ( = questioning, enquiry, interrogation, query etc). Used for the term interrogation. I guess प्रश्न prashn as well, but may be too general.