Urdu, Hindi, Punjabi: To go off on a tangent

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
We are all probably guilty of going off on a tangent in our discussions in this forum sometime or other. How would you express this concept in any of the languages listed in the thread title?

• Alfaaz

English
    The following could perhaps be used to express the concept of to (go/fly) off (on/at) a tangent:

اردو: خطِّ مماس پر نکل پڑنا؛ موضوع سے ہٹنا؛ راہ سے بے راہ ہو جانا؛ مرکز گریز ہونا؛ وغیرہ

Urdu: xatt-e-mumaass par nikal paRnaa; mauzuu3 se haTnaa; raah se be-raah ho jaanaa; markaz-gurez hona; waghairah

Alfaaz

English
    Punjabi: راہوں کراہے پَیْنا/پَیْنڑا - raahoN karaahe paenaa/paeNRaa

Note: The meaning of this phrase might be different from the English concept. Punjabi-speaking forum members/experts will hopefully comment on this matter and provide alternatives!

littlepond

Hindi
    Preferring what exists over coining something fashionable, I would simply use "baat badalnaa": literally, "to change the topic", but that is what going off on a tangent ultimately does, after all. "baat badalnaa" is used heavily in Hindi (e.g., "dekhiye bhaai saahab, ab maat mat badaliye aap, haan").

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    ^ It fits very well, Cilquiestsuens SaaHib. Also mauzuu3 se haTnaa / mauzuu3 se haT ke baatoN meN mashGhuul ho jaanaa, mauzuu3/mudda3e se bhaTaknaa - bhaTak ke baateN karnaa, sawaal puuchhnaa have my vote. I wouldn't say "gum-raah honaa"

littlepond

Hindi
    ^ Please note, marrish jii, that "gumraah honaa" and "bhaTaknaa" both are actually used; the former is not a neologism coined by me. Just for your information.

Qureshpor

Thank you all for your inputs. Apologies for late response.

I agree that we need not look for direct translations. I was wondering whether we had an idiomatic equivalent in Urdu or Hindi but I don't think anyone has come up with it. Perhaps there is n't although this seems unlikely.

Alfaaz SaaHib, thank you for the Punjabi equivalent. I have also heard "chhoRnaa vaaN majjh thalle te paindaa e kaTTe heTh!"

Thank you everyone, once again.

BP.

Urdu
    I noticed this thread late.

The word I use for going off on a tangent is ilHaad karnaa, but also to describe the situation when an opinion is completely orthogonal to another e.g. "mai.n is mas2alee par 3amuumii raa2ee see mulHid huu.n kyuunkeh...".

As much as I understand, this word, without hint of connotation, means parting completely off at right angles. Whence the LaHd, an L-shaped grave.

Be ready to notice a few raised eyebrows if you use it like I do!

Qureshpor

^ Interesting use of the words ilHaad and mulHid, BP SaaHib. I must confess, I had in mind the "usual" meanings associated with them. Can you think of a more down to Earth idiomatic way of expressing this sentiment in Urdu?

BP.

Urdu
    ^ Interesting use of the words ilHaad and mulHid, BP SaaHib. I must confess, I had in mind the "usual" meanings associated with them. Can you think of a more down to Earth idiomatic way of expressing this sentiment in Urdu?
    I've heard an idiomatic expression but can't recall it. Maybe aTkal pachchuu karnaa?

kattarkagaz

हिन्दी, English
    In German one might say "vom Thema abkommen" which literally means to get off the subject, so maybe one could say मुद्दे से हटना or something like that.