Urdu, Hindi: tanhaa

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
Friends,

Also related to the song "Main", composed and interpreted by Meesha Shafi in the Pakistani Show "Pepsi, Battle of the Bands". [Youtube: kmqQZetm_iE]

There is a stanza that goes:

[1:56]
raaz saare maiN sunaauN tujhe
qaus-e-kuzeh dikhaauuN, mujhe

na chhoR tanhaa jaauuN kahaaN maiN

I was ready to translate the part bolded as simply "Don't leave me alone, where would I go?"

But then I found this lyrics page where it says that it is a Sufi-type song about "finding Self" and seems to translate tanhaa as "Self" (capitalized).

Forcing things, maybe "tanhaa" could perhaps be "unique، unparalleled one, etc". [yaktaa, laasaanii]
And the singer is a woman, which kind of supports that she would be calling for a male entity, rather than refer to herself as "tanhaa". She is also the author of the lyrics.
Still, perhaps it should be tanhe in that case: "Oh, peerless one, don't leave me".

Can tanhaa be used with that "mystic" sense, or it is all a very particular interpretation of that page's author?

• aevynn

USA
    English, Hindustani
    But then I found this lyrics page where it says that it is a Sufi-type song about "finding Self" and seems to translate tanhaa as "Self" (capitalized).

I think the translator isn't actually translating the word tanhaa as "Self" -- it's been translated as "alone" on that lyrics page. It seems to me like the translator has just introduced some vocative expressions addressing "my Self" throughout their translation in support of their interpretation of the lyrics. These vocatives don't occur in the original. For example, they also seem to translate gun laakhoN laakhoN gaauuN tere (no vocative) as "I will sing praises for you, my Self."

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    It seems to me like the translator has just introduced some vocative expressions addressing "my Self" throughout their translation in support of their interpretation of the lyrics. These vocatives don't occur in the original.
    I concur but I think that "Self/my Self..." in that translation relates to "میں" "maiN", which also happens to be the song title; the interpretation of "maiN" being the addressee.
    Just as you have stated above, it's an interpretation.
    I was ready to translate the part bolded as simply "Don't leave me alone, where would I go?"
    It depends what kind of translation is the objective.
    I would translate "mujhe na chhoR tanhaa" as "Don't leave me alone/lonely/desolate": don't see any other interpretation.
    OK,
    your option is,
    "mujhe nah chhoR tanhaa | jaa'uuN kahaaN maiN"
    but,
    "mujhe nah chhoR | tanhaa jaa'uuN kahaaN maiN"
    is also possible, isn't it?