Urdu, Hindi: zaat ذات

< Previous | Next >

lafz_puchnevala

Tamil
Hi,

This has appeared in another thread and an explanation of its meaning will be appreciated.

Eg. (from a prev thread): "maaN ki zaat to mujassam mahaabbat hai" (A mother is indeed a total embodiment of love).

Does it mean 'a species'? So this would mean 'the Mother species' here?

Thanks!

• UrduMedium

Urdu (Karachi)
    Since maaN is the same species as the rest of her family, it cannot mean species :)

Entity and existence come close.

Another familiar word with similar meaning is hastii

Alfaaz

English
    If I remember correctly, you have asked this question before (probably not sure)! In this sense it means the existance, the relationship, or the figure of motherhood. Another example would be the title of a novel by Umera Ahmad and also a Pakistani TV drama : Meri Zaat Zarah-e-Benishaan...My existance/self is like a particle of non-existance...?

lafz_puchnevala

Tamil
    If I remember correctly, you have asked this question before (probably not sure)! In this sense it means the existance, the relationship, or the figure of motherhood. Another example would be the title of a novel by Umera Ahmad and also a Pakistani TV drama : Meri Zaat Zarah-e-Benishaan...My existance/self is like a particle of non-existance...?
    How will this be different from 'wujood' then?

Thanks!

Alfaaz

English
    How will this be different from 'wujood' then?
    That's a really good question! I'm not sure of how to explain the answer :) !

In the sentence above, wujuud could also probably work. I think wujuud is more like the existance as in: material existance, here on earth. Well, kind of...Main tumharaa wujuud is kamre main bardasht naheeN karsakta hooN! faur-an nikal jaa'o!

Platts:
    A وجود wujūd (inf. n. of وجد 'to be found; to exist,' &c.), s.m. Being found; invention;—being, existence; entity; life: essence, substance;—body; person, individual;—penis:—wujūd pānā, or wujūd pakaṛnā, To come into existence; to take form or shape; to become incarnate:—wujūd ʻadam-wujūd, Existence or non-existence:—wujūd-meṅ lānā (-ko), To bring into existence; to invent; to form, create:—bā-wujūd, or bā-wujūde, Withal; notwithstanding (that, -ki); in despite (of).

A ذات ẕāt (fem. of ẕū, q.v.), s.f. Possessor, owner, mistress (in these senses used as a prefixed noun; and often better rendered 'having, possessed of, endowed with'); essence, substance, nature, radical constituent; soul; body, person, self (i.e. a man's self, or a thing's self);
    :confused:Confused.....Let's see what other say! :)
    Edit: Just read UM's reply! Yes you could add hastii to the list for more confusion....(probably all of these words are somewhat synonymous?)

Last edited:

greatbear

Banned
    India - Hindi & English
    Hi,

This has appeared in another thread and an explanation of its meaning will be appreciated.

Eg. (from a prev thread): "maaN ki zaat to mujassam mahaabbat hai" (A mother is indeed a total embodiment of love).

Thanks!
    Yes, it does mean species or tribe, as long as you don't take it to be a biological species in this sentence (it could also mean a biological species in another sentence).

Faylasoof

English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Hi,

Thanks!
    I feel here ذات Zaat means essence! Zaat (i.e. kii Zaat) gets used this way in peotry as well:

ميري نوائے شوق سے شور حريم ذات ميں
    غلغلہ ہائے الاماں بت کدئہ صفات ميں

اقبال

merii nawaa’e shauq se shor Hariim-e-Zaat meN
    ghulghulah-haa’e al-amaaN but-kadah-e-Sifaat meN

There is commotion from the epiphany
    Of my passion in the Divine Essence,
    Causing fear in the temple of His Attributes

Iqbal

Zaat itself has many (>12 meanings in Urdu) but can also mean ماہیت maahiyyat = quiddity, in philosophy. [From Arabic ماهية maahiyyah]

greatbear

Banned
    India - Hindi & English
    We are looking at 2 interpretations here: Motherkind vs Essence of (being a) Mother.
    I differ from most opinions expressed here; in English, it would be odd to say "kind, species" and hence the appropriate translation would be "essence", but that does not make "zaat" essence. There are similar sentences that could be formed:
    "karele ki zaat hii kaDvii hai" (karelaa = bitter gourd, kaDvaa = bitter)
    This one is the same "zaat" as in "maaN kii zaat": the bitter gourd-kind and the motherkind. In better terms though quite a mouthful, it's in the nature of the bitter gourd to be bitter and the mother to be affectionate.

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    maanaa jiivan meN 3aurat ik baar muHabbat kartii hai
    lekin mujh ko yih to bataa de kyaa tuu 3aurat-zaat nahiiN

Qateel Shifaa'ii

Chhaatr

Hindi
    bete tum ro ke apnii zaat kyoN xaraab kartii ho?

How would one translate zaat in this sentence?

(My question is about Urdu usage. Just clarifying as the thread title also has "Hindi")

Thanks!

Qureshpor

^ کیا آپ اپنے سوال کے لئےمزید سیاق و سباق پیش کر سکتے ہیں؟

Chhaatr

Hindi
    جی ہاں بالکل!

ایک نواسی روتے ہوۓ اپنی نانی سے
    کہتی ہے کہ اس کی خوائش تہی کی
    اسے بہی کوئئ گہر ملے جسے وہ اپنا
    کہ سکے. وہ پوچہتی ہے کہ کیا اس
    کی یہ خوائش غیر مناسب تہی جس
    پر اس کی نانی وہ جملہ کہتی ہے
    جو میں نے اپنے گزشتہ پوسٹ
    میں درج کیا تہا.

مزید سیاق و سیاق کے لۓ شاید
    وڈؤ کا لنک بہیجنا پڑے گا.

Pls do read "he" as "dochashmii he" wherever applicable.

is vaqt sabr nahiiN hai iSlaaH kar ne kii. aa'indaah iHtiyaat bartuuN gaa.

My apologies, the sentence should read:

chup ho jaa'o bete. apnii zaat kaa tamaashah na ban ne do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Qureshpor

My apologies, the sentence should read:

chup ho jaa'o bete. apnii zaat kaa tamaashah na ban ne do.
    chup ho jaa'o beTe. apnii zaat kaa tamaashah nah ban_ne do.

Be quiet dear. Don't let this make a spectacle of your (female)-kind.

So, the meaning is as per my post # 11.

Edit:

I am making an addition, very hesitatingly!

Here "zaat" could imply "caste" too. You probably know the story and therefore would be able to make the most appropriate choice.

Last edited:

Qureshpor

Sometimes "zaat" is used in the sense of "self".

use hameshah apnii hii zaat se ta3alluq rahtaa thaa. ko'ii aur jiye yaa mare, is kii use kuchh parvaa nahiiN thii!

Gope

Tamil
    In the following sentence, what would ذات mean among its multitude of senses: اس ملی بھگت کے مقابلہ میں قائدا عظم کی ذات يک و تنہا تھی ۔
    :D

Gop

Tamil
    Here is a text in which the word ذات occurs, the meaning of which is not clear to me (from ChaakiivaaRaa meN visaal, Mohammad Khalid Akhtar, p.21):

میں نے پروفیسر سے پوچھا کہ وہ اتنا عرصہ کہاں غائب رہا۔

اس نے انگلی آسمان کی طرفاٹھاتے ہوئے کہا “اس کیذات ابھی بتانے کی اجازت نہیں دیتی”

What does pointing to the sky and saying ‘uskii zaat...? “God”?

< Previous | Next >