Urdu: laazim-o-malzuum, haakim-o-mahkuum

< Previous | Next >

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
Friends,

The following stanza, along with its suggested translation in Coke Studio, belongs to the song "Ilallah".

ishq kaa ho mo'aamlaaIn matters of love
toh laazim-o-malzuum kyaaThere’s no distinguishing the pursuer and the pursued
ishq meN jo paR gaeIn you get tangled in love
toh haakim-o-mahkuum kyaaThen there’s no distinguishing the ruler from the ruled

I believe that the word "mo'aamlaa" suggests some sort of judicial/legal pun, which escapes me.

For "laazim-o-malzuum", the Lughat definition for Urdu Lughat simply suggests that it is an adjectival phrase for 2 things that are irrevocably united (logically, by necessity, etc). But the Coke Studio translation seems better in the sense that it tries to use 2 words, related to crime.

Could it be "the main perpetrator (of a crime) and an accessory"?

As for "haakim-o-mahkuum" the same thing. The literal translation would be "ruler and ruled", but for what I can glean from Persian texts online+Google Translate (not ideal), isn't this expression also used for someone who has been charged/convicted of a crime?

Please orient me.
Thanks in advance.

• littlepond

Hindi
    Urdu speakers might guide you better, but is there any particular reason why you are bent on finding meanings of criminality in a song of love?

"haakim" usually means a governor, a ruler (it is used in modern Hindi too), rather than a judge specifically. I would have said "haakim-o-mahkuum" to stand for the ruler (of the heart?) and the ruled.

Similarly, "laazim", also used in modern Hindi, means inseparable or necessary. Here, I guess, both the words, "laazim" and "malzuum", mean inseparable from each other. I do not understand why any other meaning should be pursued!

As for "mo'aamlaa" (or "maamlaa", as it exists in modern Hindi), it means case, matter, hence by extension court case too, yes, but I don't think a court case would be meant here.

< Previous | Next >