Urdu: meaning of chiraaGh-i-rux-i-zeebaa

Gope

Tamil
What is the meaning chiraaGh-i-rux-i-ziibaa in the following from shahaabnaamah(p.384):
! ایسے پاكيزه سيرت لوگ پھر کہاں ملے ہیں؟ اب انہیں ڈھونڈ چراغ رخ زيبا لے كر
Thanks.:)

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    This is a quote from Iqbal's masterpiece "Shikvah" (Complaint).

تیری محفل بھی گئی ، چاہنے والے بھی گئے
    شب کی آہیں بھی گئیں ، صُبح کے نالے بھی گئے
    دِل تجھے دے بھی گئے ، اپنا صلہ لے بھی گئے
    آکے بیٹھے بھی نہ تھے اور نکالے بھی گئے

آئے عُشاق ، گئے وعدہء فردا لے کر
    اَب اُنہیں ڈُھونڈ چراغِ رُخِ زیبا لے کر

Hopefully, this gives you a bit more context. We'll let you ponder over this for a while (agar aap buraa nah maaneN).

Gope

Tamil
    This is a quote from Iqbal's masterpiece "Shikvah" (Complaint).

تیری محفل بھی گئی ، چاہنے والے بھی گئے
    شب کی آہیں بھی گئیں ، صُبح کے نالے بھی گئے
    دِل تجھے دے بھی گئے ، اپنا صلہ لے بھی گئے
    آکے بیٹھے بھی نہ تھے اور نکالے بھی گئے

آئے عُشاق ، گئے وعدہء فردا لے کر
    اَب اُنہیں ڈُھونڈ چراغِ رُخِ زیبا لے کر

Hopefully, this gives you a bit more context. We'll let you ponder over this for a while (agar aap buraa nah maaneN).
    Happy to know this is from Iqbal's masterpiece. I have since looked at this very inspiring work on the net. So I suppose that he is saying (literally speaking) go and look for them (in vain?) with the lamp with an ornamental face?:confused:

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Iqbal is addressing God. The whole poem is a complaint (shikvah) and the second part is the reply from God (javaab-i-shikvah). Yes, Iqbal is saying to God is that gone are your lovers, on your promise of a (better) tomorrow (I presume paradise). Now there is none of their kind and you will have to search for the likes of them--yes in vain while carrying a lamp that has a "rux-i-zebaa" (a beautiful face). Here I believe the meaning is "a bright lamp". Let's see what other friends say.

By the way, is your original sentence possibly, "aise paakizah-siirat log phir kahaaN mileN ge"?

Gope

Tamil
    Thank you very much, Qureshpor SaaHib, for the entire context of this elevating poem.
    i have checked both editions I have, it is "aise paakiizah-siirat log phir kahaaN mile haiN":D

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    Yes, Iqbal is saying to God is that gone are your lovers, on your promise of a (better) tomorrow (I presume paradise). Now there is none of their kind and you will have to search for the likes of them--yes in vain while carrying a lamp that has a "rux-i-zebaa" (a beautiful face). Here I believe the meaning is "a bright lamp". Let's see what other friends say.
    aap Hukm karte haiN ham Haazir ho jaate haiN. There is no doubt rux-e-zebaa means a beautiful face and the expression used here is charaaGh-e-rux-e-zebaa which can be (in my opinion) understood in two ways:

- beautiful lamp of face (zebaa charaaGh-e-rux)
    - lamp of beautiful face (rux-e-zebaa kaa charaaGh)

This I believe is based on the expression "sham3-ruu, sham3-rux" - a dazzling beauty.

My interpretation, I take the second option:

"Now it is up to you to seek them, with the torch of your dazzling countenance." (using your dazzling countenance as a lamp/torch in the darkness).