Urdu: Mujhe peshaab aa rahaa hai

< Previous | Next >

teaboy

USA
English
As I recall, it is not quite as crude to say this in Urdu as it is to say "I've got to pee" is in English. Is this correct? Is it only among familiars that one would use this very direct expression? Or is it quite acceptable in most situations?

• panjabigator

Am. English
    Teaboy, this thread from last year might be of interest to you - we discussed some euphemisms.

When you say most situations, what do you mean? Outside of the intimacy of close relatives?

germanictamoon

Hindi (West Uttar Pradesh)
    Mr.teaboy,you are right to some extent.It is not so crude to say to say ''Mujhe peshaab aa rahaa hai''but it cannot be used anywhere because it carries a sense of directness or explicitness,sounds a bit grotesque and not considered a modest [especially in case of girls] expression.However you can use this phrase while talking to family members,close friends [grammatically 'Mera' is correct instead of 'Mujhe' in this phrase] .But in general parlance with everybody be those family members,close friends,friends,acquaintances[summarily every formal and informal parlance] it is far more prevalent and considered standard to say Mujhe bathroom jana hai instead.But sometimes we need to tell distinctively why we are heading towards lavatory for urination or for defecation [for example in case of a doctor's question while you are under his or her treatment]then there should be no hesitation in former expression.If you are at a place where there is no lavatory/bathroom for example during driving across a highway you should say Mujhe peshaab karna hai,it is better than Mujhe peshaab aa rahaa hai.

BP.

Urdu
    You could just say mae.n istinja khaane se ho kar aataa huu.n. No need to give more information than they would like haivng!

amiramir

English-USA
    I heard this on TV the other day-- maiN halka ho ke aataa huN.

Couldn't quite figure out register. Is it polite? Too polite? Prissy? Totally bog (excuse the pun) standard?

Could I use it both at home as well as with a colleague from work?

Many thanks.

littlepond

Hindi
    I heard this on TV the other day-- maiN halka ho ke aataa huN.

Couldn't quite figure out register. Is it polite? Too polite? Prissy? Totally bog (excuse the pun) standard?

Could I use it both at home as well as with a colleague from work?
    "halkaa ho jaanaa" is used for pooping rather than peeing (peeing hardly makes one lighter?). It's kind of figurative (euphemistic?), and just a colourful-ish way to avoid saying pooping. You could use it everywhere except if you are talking to the president of your country (or other too formal situations).

Note that most Indians at least (don't know if it's the same in Pakistan) resort to all kinds of stratagems to avoid saying the words for pee and poop and toilet. Hence, "ek/do nambar", toilet as "bathroom" or "restroom", just "lag rahii hai", etc.

< Previous | Next >