Urdu: Nishast or Nashist

< Previous | Next >

Baad-e-samoom

Pakistan - Urdu
Which one is the correct pronunciation, Nishast or Nashist? I've heard both, but I say Nashist. Are both acceptable? And also, how do you guys learn the pronunciation of a new Urdu word you read?

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I would go for “nishast”. There are always variations in pronunciation of words, bearing in mind the vast area over which Urdu speakers are spread.

A good dictionary would give you what is considered to be correct standard pronunciation with deviations included. I would not necessarily go by the pronunciation standards of a vast majority of Urdu speakers, mother tongue speakers included!

For a mother tongue speaker like yourself, this word should not be new for you.

Baad-e-samoom

Pakistan - Urdu
    I would go for “nishast”. There are always variations in pronunciation of words, bearing in mind the vast area over which Urdu speakers are spread.

A good dictionary would give you what is considered to be correct standard pronunciation with deviations included. I would not necessarily go by the pronunciation standards of a vast majority of Urdu speakers, mother tongue speakers included!

For a mother tongue speaker like yourself, this word should not be new for you.
    Actually it is not a new word for me, I was just curious. Although Urdu is my mother tongue but I have just started taking it seriously. I live in KP, so my Urdu is not so good 😅

Qureshpor

You may find it useful to consult this Urdu Lughat. Searching for نشست, for example, yields an entry for نِشَست.
    Urdu speakers do have variations for words of Persian and Arabic origins..... and Indic of course. A few illustrative examples.

biraadar/baraadar
    aatish/aatash
    vaapis/vaapas
    zabaan/zubaan
    guzashtah/guzishtah
    shiniid/shuniid
    aavard/aavurd

sijdah/sajdah
    jihaad/jahaad
    xilvat/xalvat
    3aasif/3aasaf
    maHabbt/muHabbat

baahir/baahar
    mandir/mandar

Last edited:

Dib

Bengali (India)
    Those familiar with Sanskrit will also know that "ni" prefix has "down" implications and the word for "sitting" is निषत्त :)
    I was about to flag this as inaccurate, because the normal form is निषण्ण, with -na instead of -ta (as is the case for a small group of roots), but then better judgement prevailed, and I decided to double-check. Turns out, Vedic Sanskrit did actually have the regular निषत्त too! Thanks! Learned something today! :)

Qureshpor

As a matter of interest, heard the pronunciation "nishist" today in a Youtube video. Now, only one combination left to discuss, "nashast"!:)

< Previous | Next >