Urdu-Persian: aayaa آیا

< Previous | Next >

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
Is the word آیا (whether) connected to the Persian verb "aamadan", just as "goyaa" گویا is linked to "guftan"?

• Qureshpor

Here is an example from Persian (Firdausi).

فروماند و از کارش آمد شگفت
    بسی با دل اندیشه اندرگرفت
    که آیا بهشت است یا بزمگاه
    سپهر برینست یا چرخ ماه ؟

Here is an example from Urdu:

مگر اس حوالے سے ایک اہم سوال یہ ہے کہ آیا یہ طریقہ درست ہے؟

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    I raised this question recently on EHL, I searched but your threads didn’t show as it is in a different forum. I haven’t had an answer there & your thread is much older, let‘s use it.

I firmly believe آیا/âyâ is derived from آمدن/âmadan with آ/â being its present stem.

To me it makes perfect sense when you look at آمدن “to arrive, come also become & happen”, and as you say, with with the same structure as گویا, روا, رسا with the meaning: is it becoming/happening/possible?

EDIT: Corrected the link to the other thread.

Last edited:

Qureshpor

I raised this question recently on EHL, I searched but your threads didn’t show as it is in a different forum. I haven’t had an answer there & your thread is much older, let‘s use it.

I firmly believe آیا/âyâ is derived from آمدن/âmadan with آ/â being its present stem.

To me it makes perfect sense when you look at آمدن “to arrive, come also become & happen”, and as you say, with with the same structure as گویا, روا, رسا with the meaning: is it becoming/happening/possible?
    Thank you @PersoLatin for moving this thread from the state of برزخ where a number of threads started by me are still dwelling! Let's hope we reach some sort of conclusion. I agree that "aamadan" also had the meaning of "to become" in former days but I am still trying to get my head round how it became to mean the conditional "whether".

Last edited:

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    I agree that "aamadan" also had the meaning of "to become" in former days but I am still trying to get my head round how it becme to mean the conditional "whether".
    ایا/âyâ" is not used the same way “whether” is used mostly in English, it’s not conditional but often accompanies conditional sentences.

A question:
    آیا می‌روی/آمده؟ - will you go?/ has she arrived?

A statement:
    از او بپرس آیا شام خورده - ask her if/whether she's had dinner,

Accompanying a conditional sub-sentence
    از او بپرس آیا شام خورده، اگر نخورده برا یش نگه داشته ام - ask her if/whether she's had dinner, if not I have kept some for her.

"whether" here makes the sentence conditional but doesn't translate to آیا/âyâ in Persian:
    Whether you come or not, I am not going - اگر بیا یید یا نیا یید من نمی‌روم

Last edited:

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    There's also another possibility, a combination of آ + یا , i.e. "become/be possible" + "or", it can make sense too but I doubt if it is correct.

< Previous | Next >