Urdu, Persian, Hindi: Facebook Outage/Blackout

Sheikh_14

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi
Dear Foreros,

I am sure alot of you would have been affected by the recent blackout of all Facebook owned social media sites and apps. But how would you refer to such widespread outages in your native languages?

I wasn't able to find much on any official terms in Urdu but this leaves plenty of space for creativity and wordsmithery.

For Urdu and Hindi speakers please avoid merely transliterating Blackout or Outages. I am keenly interested in whether Persian has coined a term of its own for such.

My attempts for the above would be kul-qata'/inqitaa' since these relate to network outages how about kul jaal/ii/shabakii/shabakaatii qata'/inqitaa.

A far easier alternative would be kul-bandish. Bijlii-bandish for electrical outages, can be prefixed with kul, bharpoor, tamaam, pur or kaamil if the outages are comprehensive and widespread.

"FB ke kul-qata'/kul-bandish E a'lamii/jahaanii/dunyaa se musta'mileen/saarifeen ikraam do-chaar haiN."

Other ideas that I would like to float are Tamaam/-tar-taariikii, Tamaam/-tar-be-noorii once again many of the above can be prefixed with either be-nuurii or taariikii. Andher and Andhera obviously also being candidates. Urdu has no shortage of potentialities just a shortage of officially sanctioned terminology. In fact, if anything the possibilities are endless.

Read full nazm by Faiz Ahmad Faiz you might enjoy this whilst you're at it.

I would love to hear your collective input.

Regards,
Sheikh

Last edited:
  • utopia62000

Persian
    Dear Foreros,

I am sure alot of you would have been affected by the recent blackout of all Facebook owned social media sites and apps. But how would you refer to such widespread outages in your native languages?

I wasn't able to find much on any official terms in Urdu but this leaves plenty of space for creativity and wordsmithery.

For Urdu and Hindi speakers please avoid merely transliterating Blackout or Outages. I am keenly interested in whether Persian has coined a term of its own for such.

My attempts for the above would be kul-qata'/inqitaa' since these relate to network outages how about kul jaal/ii/shabakii/shabakaatii qata'/inqitaa.

A far easier alternative would be kul-bandish. Bijlii-bandish for electrical outages, can be prefixed with kul, bharpoor, tamaam, pur or kaamil if the outages are comprehensive and widespread.

"FB ke kul-qata'/kul-bandish E a'lamii/jahaanii/dunyaa se musta'mileen/saarifeen ikraam do-chaar haiN."

Other ideas that I would like to float are Tamaam/-tar-taariikii, Tamaam/-tar-be-noorii once again many of the above can be prefixed with either be-nuurii or taariikii. Andher and Andhera obviously also being candidates. Urdu has no shortage of potentialities just a shortage of officially sanctioned terminology. In fact, if anything the possibilities are endless.

Read full nazm by Faiz Ahmad Faiz you might enjoy this whilst you're at it.

I would love to hear your collective input.

Regards,
    Sheikh
    In Farsi we say ;کلاً قطع شده/ ازکار افتاده/ کار نمیکنه

Happu

German
    In Hindi, when stuck, just make up a fancy combination of Sanskrit-derived words. What about

आकस्मिक प्रसारण-छेद? Akasmik prasAraN-ched = sudden/unexpected transmission cut-off.