Urdu, Persian, Hindu: You're family, like family.

Sheikh_14

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi
Dear Foreros,

I was wondering how would you refer to someone as "like family or to be family to you" in the languages above. If someone were your blood you would say "tum to meraa/humaaraa xuun ho", however the same wouldn't apply for an adopted member of the household I.e. whether its a friend or an adopted son/daughter. Perhaps "xuun-saa/se I.e. shorthand for jaisaa/e ho"

So then how would you express the sentiment which essentially suggests an individual is one of your own?

A) Tum to apnoN meN se ho - You are one of our own.
B) Tum tau apne apne ho, ghair nahiN- You are one of us, not a stranger.
C) Tum tau xuun-saa/se ho - you are like our blood.
D) Xuunii rishta is used for blood relations and xaandaanii for familial. Not entirely sure about this construct but how about xuunii-xaandaanii for of blood, of family, which could be used either literally or figuratively. For instance "woh tau xuunii-xaandaanii hai hamaaraa/ii", he/she is our blood of our family. Which could be used for even a MuNh-bolaa i.e. by mouth/choice, not by blood, family member.

Very much interested in how Persophones express the sentiment too. The above lays the foundations for Urdu & Hindi.

Regards,
Sheikh.

• Alfaaz

English
    Sheikh_14 said:
    I was wondering how would you refer to someone as "like family or to be family to you" in the languages above.
    • like - جیسا/جیسی/جیسے، مانند، مثل، وغیرہ - jaisaa/jaisii/jaise, maanand, misl, waGhairah
    • family - خاندان، عائلہ، وغیرہ - xaandaan, 3aai'lah, waGhairah
    • member - فرد | افراد - fard | afraad
    Example sentences that are often used in Urdu TV dramas and even in everyday conversations:
    • تم تو بالکل ہمارے خاندان کے فرد جیسے/جیسی ہو - tum to bi-l-kull hamaare xaandaan ke fard jaise/jaisii ho.
      • آپ سب تو ہمارے خاندان کے افراد جیسے/جیسی ہیں - aap sab to hamaare xaandaan ke afraad jaise/jaisii haiN.
    • تم تو ہمارے خاندان کے فرد کی مانند ہو - tum to hamaare xaandaan ke fard kii maanand ho.
    • تم تو بالکل سگے/سگی (رشتہ) جیسے/جیسی ہو - tum to bilkul sage/sagii (rishtah) jaise/jaisii ho.
    • تمھارا شمار اپنوں میں ہوتا ہے، اغیار میں نہیں - tumhaaraa shumaar apnoN meN hotaa hai, aGhyaar meN nahiiN.
    • ہم تمھیں خاندان کا حصّہ سمجھتے ہیں - ham tumheN xaandaan kaa HiSSah samajhte haiN.
    • اُن سے ہمارے خاندانی تعلقات/مراسم ہیں - un se hamaare xaandaanii ta3alluqaat/maraasim haiN.
    • اُن سے ہمارا خاندانی میل جول رہا ہے - un se hamaaraa xaandaanii mel-jol rahaa hai.
    • اُن سے ہماری ہماری خاندانی دوستی رہی ہے - un se hamaarii xaandaanii dostii rahii hai.
    • وغیرہ - waGhairah - etc.
    Sheikh_14 said:
    B) Tum tau apne apne ho, ghair nahiN- You are one of us, not a stranger.
    tum to (hamaare) apne ho, Ghair nahiiN.
    Sheikh_14 said:
    C) Tum tau xuun-saa/se ho - you are like our blood.
    D) Xuunii rishta is used for blood relations and xaandaanii for familial. Not entirely sure about this construct but how about xuunii-xaandaanii for of blood
    • تم تو (ہمارے لیے) بالکل خونی رشتہ دار جیسے ہو - tum to (hamaare liye) bi-l-kull xuunii rishtah daar jaise ho
    • تم تو (ہمارے لیے) بالکل سگے رشتہ دار جیسے ہو - tum to (hamaare liye) bilkul sage rishtah daar jaise ho