Urdu/Persian: The suffix:-iichah/-iizah

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
The suffix -iichah/iizah could also be added to a list of words that are no longer in vogue or have dropped off the edge, so to speak! In Urdu, we have..

baaGh-iichah = small garden
dar-iichah = window

paak-iizah = pure

I don't think there are too many more words with these suffixes. I think the -chah suffix to make diminutives is possibly still alive. Is there a hope for this suffix or is it already breathing its last?

• Faylasoof

English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi

The suffix -iichah/iizah could also be added to a list of words that are no longer in vogue or have dropped off the edge, so to speak! In Urdu, we have..

baaGh-iichah = small garden
    dar-iichah = window

paak-iizah = pure

I don't think there are too many more words with these suffixes. I think the -chah suffix to make diminutives is possibly still alive. Is there a hope for this suffix or is it already breathing its last?
    قالین qaaliin -> قالیچہ qaaliichah (small carpet / rug)

پارچہ paarchah -> پرایچہ \ پرائچہ paraa’iichah (small piece of cloth, rag, shred)

From the root ح-م-ر (same for red in Arabic) and the Persian-Urdu diminutive suffix یچہ-iichah, we get حمریچہ Hamriichah / Humriichah = hemoglobin!

I think this (-iichah) form of making diminutives is still alive and we here at WRF can help it along!

However, diminutives with –chah are likely many more. Just a couple of examples. apart from yours above: قدمچہ qadamcah, نیمچہ niimchah etc. etc.

BP.

Urdu

پارچہ paarchah -> پرایچہ \ پرائچہ paraa’iichah (small piece of cloth, rag, shred)

From the root ح-م-ر (same for red in Arabic) and the Persian-Urdu diminutive suffix یچہ-iichah, we get حمریچہ Hamriichah / Humriichah = hemoglobin!

I think this (-iichah) form of making diminutives is still alive and we here at WRF can help it along!

However, diminutives with –chah are likely many more. Just a couple of examples. apart from yours above: قدمچہ qadamcah, نیمچہ niimchah etc. etc.
    We're very used to using غالیچہ which is evidently another form of قالیچہ.

پارچہ is, in my knowledge, can be used for any wafer-thin-ish slice, fabric or otherwise. Pre-modern people used to write on paarchajaat of reed papyrus. Also, ask any qaSSaab for paarchah and he'll cut you a demi-steak.

Qureshpor

Interesting! I was n't aware of paraa'iichah. Hamr/Humr-iichah is no doubt a new coinage.

Qureshpor

Do our Farsi speaking friends use dariichah, baaGhiichah etc (دریچہ، باغیچہ)?

Derakhshan

Arabic (Bahrain), Persian
    I actually wanted to ask about the suffix -iza! Because we use it in a few words in our dialect (Lari). For example:

morghiza مرغیزه "bird"
    muriza موریزه "ant". (Compare w/ Farsi مورچه)

I wasn't aware of its use in standard Persian.

In Iranian Persian پنجره is used for window, but in some dialects, especially in the south, you find دریچه used.

In Gulf Arabic, the common word for window is دريشه , this was introduced to them either by Hindustani-speakers or by Persian-speakers.

Qureshpor

I actually wanted to ask about the suffix -iza! Because we use it in a few words in our dialect (Lari). For example:

morghiza مرغیزه "bird"
    muriza موریزه "ant". (Compare w/ Farsi مورچه)

I wasn't aware of its use in standard Persian.

In Iranian Persian پنجره is used for window, but in some dialects, especially in the south, you find دریچه used.

In Gulf Arabic, the common word for window is دريشه , this was introduced to them either by Hindustani-speakers or by Persian-speakers.
    Another one that I can think of is مشکیزہ. I don't know if پاکیزہ and دوشیزہ have any connection with dimunitives or not.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Not باغیچه but باغچه for a small garden and these days, just flower beds & sometimes incl. a small patch of grass.

Yes to دریچه (and not درچه, just in case), it is not used for a window but mainly a hatch door or a small door as the name suggests.

Last edited:

Derakhshan

Arabic (Bahrain), Persian
    Dehkhoda believes دریچه comes from دریزه.

-iza is a reflex of Old Iranian -iča, with the expected sound change.

I wonder if -iča in NP is the result of a conflation of -ča and -iza.

< Previous | Next >