Urdu: plural of sang i.e. سنگstone

Sheikh_14

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi
Dear Foreros,

in general sang can be used for both the similar and plural in Urdu depending upon context. However, if you needed to distinguish and differentiate between many stones from just the one, what pluralisation pattern would you use? Would stones then be sang-haa, or is that simply not in use so far as Urdu is concerned? For instance the tittle of a hit current film surging through box office records goes by the name of Avengers: Endgame in which a central theme is the power vested into "Infinity stones."Now the translation whimsically afforded by Urdu-philles for one infinity stone is sang e dawaam. In my opinion by extension the plural ought to be sang-haa e dawaam. Would you like to see where fellow Urdu-phones stand on this. If you have a suggestion of your own, rebuttal or simply agree with the premise above I would appreciate your response in each case.

Regards,
Sheikh

• marrish

اُردو Urdu
    The Indic pattern in this case doesn't show a separate affix for plural in the direct case, but plural is easily shown in the oblique case.

ek patthar -> do patthar, but do patthar -> do pattharoN se.

Moreover, if used in a sentence, other elements indicate it's plural, i.e. us ne patthar pheNkaa (sg.) and pheNke (pl.).

You are right as to the plural – your expression "sang-e-dawaam" becomes "sang-haa-e-dawaam" in both direct and oblique plural.

But similarly to the Indic pattern, it may remain unchanged and even so can be used in the plural sense.

What is your choice?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >