Urdu: Professional/career-oriented women

Sheikh_14

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi
Dear Foreros',

When I think professional the worst Urdu word that comes to mind is pesha/paisha-war. However, is pesha/paisha-war a'urateiN/saaHibaat or xawateen an appropriate term to use or strictly reserved for women of the night? I would sure hope not as I assume its only one of many connotations similar to dalaal which literally means an agent and thus is used for other nefarious professionals as well.

best,
Sheikh

• Sheikh_14

Reviving an old thread here since we were just in the midst of making progress here. So in essence paishawar a'urateiN in other words is a No No? Are you then suggesting the likes of a'aamil and fa'aal xawaateen in lieu of the aforementioned term?. How about paisha-mand? Is it justified to relegate paisha-war to only a negative denotation for women when the same doesn't hold water for men? A paisha-war mard would simply be a professional gentleman.

Sheikh_14

We never really got anywhere with this thread but I would like to know how we can differentiate working girls I.e. sex workers from professional women in Urdu. Paisha-war in my view is an innocent term that means professional, it ought not to have just negative connotations when used with women.

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I would like to coin peshah-bast as a word for "professional", to get away from the stigmatised "peshah-var".

peshah-bast xaatuun/3aurat
    A professional woman

peshah-maa'il xaatuun/3aurat
    A career-oriented woman

What do you think?

Sheikh_14

I like it! Peshe-daar and paisha-band are also potential alternatives. That being said in your view does pesha-war have to carry negative or seedy connotations? I feel that whilst peshawar-a'urat in general is used for ladies of the night, xaatuun in general is used for women of stature. In light of that pesha-war xaatuun has a more Halal edge to it.

I'm curious as to what you ladies and gentlemen would use in daily conversations as opposed to the English professional a'urateiN? How would you say she turned pro in 2021 I.e. became a professional sports star or musician in 2021?

Alfaaz

English
    If پیشہ ور is considered to have negative connotations in certain cases, then the following could perhaps be used as alternatives:

حِرفہ/حِرفت - پیشہ، وغیرہ
    مُحترِف - پیشہ ور