Urdu: pronunciation of اے - اےَ and او - اَو

G_mut

Greek, Aromanian
Hi everybody,

I just started learning Urdu using a teach yourself course. I've been listening very closely to the pronunciation of the various letters, including the above combinations. I understand that اے and او are open vowels, while اےَ and اَو are closed. Correct me, if I'm wrong. My question is how discernible is the difference in their pronunciation in normal speed speech.

Thanks a lot in advance!

• aevynn

USA
    English, Hindustani
    I think you have it backwards: او and اَو represent close-mid and open-mid back rounded vowels, respectively, and اے and اَے represent close-mid and open-mid front unrounded vowels, respectively (but sometimes the latter is analyzed as near-open instead).

These pairs are phonemically distinct in the language: that is to say, I think any native speaker would clearly be able to distinguish the vowels in each of these pairs. There are minimal pairs, such as میں the postposition "in" in contrast with مَیں the pronoun "I."

Last edited:

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    Is there an approximate correspondence between what we represent in this forum as "e/ai", "o/au" and the "close-mid" and "open-mid" sounds?
    i.e,

eاے
    aiاےَ

oاو
    auاَو

?

G_mut

Greek, Aromanian
    I think you have it backwards: او and اَو represent close-mid and open-mid back rounded vowels, respectively, and اے and اَے represent close-mid and open-mid front unrounded vowels, respectively (but sometimes the latter is analyzed as near-open instead).

These pairs are phonemically distinct in the language: that is to say, I think any native speaker would clearly be able to distinguish the vowels in each of these pairs. There are minimal pairs, such as میں the postposition "in" in contrast with مَیں the pronoun "I."
    Thanks a lot for your answer! I have to admit that the links to the individual sounds have helped much more than listening to the recordings that came with the course!