Urdu: pronunciation of ب after ن

99sobi

English - England
Hi all.

In Arabic, there is the iqlab rule where when ن and ب appear together, the sound becomes a م

Is this the same in Urdu? Has the rule been borrowed from Arabic / does it exist in Hindi?

Examples:
گنبد
سنبھالنا
کنبا
کنبل

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Hi all.

In Arabic, there is the iqlab rule where when ن and ب appear together, the sound becomes a م

Is this the same in Urdu? Has the rule been borrowed from Arabic / does it exist in Hindi?

Examples:
    گنبد
    سنبھالنا
    کنبا
    کنبل
    Perhaps you meant to write "iqlaab".

If we have a fully fledged ن, then its combination with b, p results in m. However, if the ن is nasal, i.e nuun-i-Ghunnah ں, then we won't have a resultant m. Having said this, I am not sure if an average speaker of Urdu will differentiate between a nasal nuun and a full nuun in such combinations.

By the way, I have always seen کمبل and not کنبل.

کنبا is normally spelt as کنبہ although Urdu LuGhat has both spellings. Strictly speaking, the former is the correct spelling. Platts has this word as کنبا and کمبا.

Out of the list you have سنبھالنا definitely has a nasal.

گنبد originally گنبذ is of Persian origins. Therefore the concept of a nasal does not come into it.

Let's see what other friends have to say about your question. (I hope you will return to this thread to respond to the answers. There does seem to be a tendency on your part, not to do this.)

Last edited:

iskander e azam

English
    پلیٹس کے زمانہ سے (انیسویں صدی) آج تک ایک رجہان ہے کہ لکھی ہوئی زبان بولی ہوئی زبان سے ملے اس وجہ کے لیے آپ لنبا دیکھیں گے اور لمبا بھی
    دیکھیں گے۔​

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    This question appears once in a while, under different forms.

My understanding of it (based on answers in this forum) is that:

1) Urdu speech observes the typical "homorganic articulation rules" such as "m before b" mentioned by the OP.

however:
    2) in Urdu orthography, the usage of the nuun is more relaxed in general, especially in the matter of representing homorganic nasal-occlusive combinations: sometimes a jazm is used (لَمْبا):

lamba
    لَمْبا​
    aNRD
    اَنْڈ​

sometimes a nuun Gunnah is used ( ُون٘چا )

uuNchaa
    اُون٘چا​

and it most cases simply nothing at all.

3) Some words, for historical reasons, keep a nuun spelling in words pronounced with the mb sound, and that spelling is the correct one. For example:

sambhaalnaa
    سَن٘بھالْنا​
    (and not سَمْبھالْنا)​

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    3) Some words, for historical reasons, keep a nuun spelling in words pronounced with the mb sound, and that spelling is the correct one. For example:

sambhaalnaa
    سَن٘بھالْنا​
    (and not سَمْبھالْنا)​
    No, you are wrong here. سَن٘بھالْنا is the correct spelling and correct pronunciation is with a nuun-i-Ghunna and not nuun.

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    No, you are wrong here. سَن٘بھالْنا is the correct spelling and correct pronunciation is with a nuun-i-Ghunna and not nuun.
    Isin't it how I wrote it?
    My focus in #3, was that the word is written with n and not with m, despite pronunciation.