Urdu: pronunciation of کلیتہً بَریُّ الذِّمَّہ

Gope

Tamil
Friends, I would appreciate a transliteration in Roman of the words shown in urdu script in the following sentence:
"Huzuur, yahaaN kaa aisaa hii dastuur hai" inspectar ne qata3iiat ke saath javaab diyaa aur nathah nagar ke musalmaanoN ke saath apne jumlah faraa'yiz-i-manSabii se کلیتہً بَریُّ الذِّمَّہ ho gayaa.
Thanks.:)

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Gope SaaHib, those Arabic words which end with an h (not H), when joined to another word or a sufix change to a "t". In this case, the word is "kulliyah" but when it has the adverbial "-an" added to it, it becomes "kulliyat-an" (completely).

bariiyu_zzimmah is the Arabic izaafat format (free of responsibility).

Gope

Tamil
    Gope SaaHib, those Arabic words which end with an h (not H), when joined to another word or a sufix change to a "t". In this case, the word is "kulliyah" but when it has the adverbial "-an" added to it, it becomes "kulliyat-an" (completely).

bariiyu_zzimmah is the Arabic izaafat format (free of responsibility).
    Qureshpor SaaHib, this is most welcome information, thank you very much.:)

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    Thank you, marrish SaaHib:), so far I have only come across the slanting double strokes on the letter alef as in fauran.
    What you are calling graphically as the slanting double stroke
    ًis called "tanwiin" تنوین, in Urdu is mostly found on top of alif indeed but sometimes also above a character which is called "te marbuutah" and is written in this way: ـة at the end of certain words. In the case of کلیتہً I believe it's not written properly and that it ought to be written either as کُلِّیَةً or کُلِّیَتاً, without vocalisationکلیتاً and کلیةً . This would need to be confirmed or denied by someone else and I hope the person will be QP SaaHib :).

Edit: I have changed the font in order to avoid the
    zer becoming a zabar. Further let me add the information that the shape of "te marbuutah" depends on the kind of calligraphic style one employs for typing or writing. The separate form is invariably ۃ, the final one ـة as indicated above but normally in handwriting and also in print (especially in nasta3liiq) the final form will be written with two dots above it. Unfortunately I'm not able to reproduce it on screen. It can be seen here.

Edit: Finally I have discovered the way to show it !!! کلیۃً and with vocalisation کُلِّیَۃً. The whole phrase would be then, correctly, written this way:
    کلیۃً بری الذمہ
    کُلِّیَۃً بَرِيُّ الْذِّمَّہ

Last edited:

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    ^ I agree the -an above the "t" as in کُلِّیَةً would be more accurate than کلیتہً but کُلِّیَتاً would be wrong.

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    Thank you very much. For some reason the "zer" under "laam" has jumped on top of it to become a "zabar"! My preference goes for کُلِّیَةً (now displayed correctly, it's something with the fonts) but I found the other one, with alif also used on the net. Secondly I remember there was some kind of discussion about the way to write such words - with the participation of Fayalsoof SaaHib. I will try to find it.

Edit: One discussion which is relevant was here: Thread: Urdu: How to write 3aadatan?
    There is also a post with Haqiiqat-an:
    really = waaqe3ii واقعی = sach much سچ مُچ= = waaqe3an واقعاً ; also in some context: Haqiiqatan حقیقتاً.
    I will keep an eye on it. There is also a post where SC SaaHibah used عادتاً but as far as I am aware, this is the way such words are usually written in Persian.

Last edited:

Alfaaz

English
    Gope SaaHib: here is another example (dafeenah-e-3ilm/dafeena-tul-3ilm) in posts #2 and #4. There are also اشارۃً - ishaarat-an, کنایۃً - kinaayat-an, etc.
    marrish said:
    For some reason the "zer" under "laam" has jumped on top of it to become a "zabar"!
    In some fonts/systems, the zer appears underneath the tashdeed (rather than underneath the letter) while the zabar appears above the tashdeed.

< Previous | Next >