Urdu, Punjabi: LaunThaa / lauThaa

Sheikh_14

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi
Dear Foreros',

the word above is used by Punjabi-phones for an individual who does next to nothing i.e. one heck of an idle fellow who quite often is overweight. Any idea as to what its origins are or the actual definition of the word.

best,
Sheikh

• Sheikh_14

The word lauThaa however, as opposed to launThaa has the opposite denotations or so it appears? Have you heard of either being used in the manner mentioned above I.e. Not for a jawaan, haTaa kaTaa individual but rather an obsese and indolent fellow?

Alfaaz

English
    Sheikh_14 said:
    The word lauThaa however, as opposed to launThaa has the opposite denotations or so it appears? Have you heard of either being used in the manner mentioned above I.e. Not for a jawaan, haTaa kaTaa individual but rather an obsese and indolent fellow?
    I don't think I have heard this word used, so other forum members could hopefully provide better answers.

موٹا تازہ is also included in the entry.

Sheikh_14

Alfaaz, you were correct in the very first go,launThaa and lauThaa as you mentioned are two ways of pronouncing the same word. The correct definition of launThaa is exactly as you defined it and is used in Urdu slang and has nothing to do with Punjabi. A character from a television drama set me off in the wrong direction, since the character was meant to be a typical rural Punjabi lady who was growing accustomed to urban life I assumed it was Punjabi word which it isn't in the least. Secondly it denotes a goon and not an overweight portly fellow. Thirdly, moTaa Taaza has positive rather than negative connotations and can be used for strong men and animals. LaunThaa on the other usually if not always has negative connotations.

desi4life

English
    The correct definition of launThaa is exactly as you defined it and is used in Urdu slang and has nothing to do with Punjabi.

I think you have it backwards because lauThaa is in the Punjabi dictionary entry below (lauNThaa must be a dialectical variation). Therefore, for the meaning mentioned in the OP it seems to be a Punjabi word and not Urdu.

LAUṬHÁ ਲੌਠਾ a. Large, stout, tall (a man.)