Urdu: qaum

< Previous | Next >
  • roh3x2n

Fars
    It is the "au" sound. In Urdu, it is written with a qaaf, vao, pesh, and miim(I think).
    I think you didnt read carefully.She was asking about ´ou,au ....`
    I understand you Setwale.Pronounce them separatly.
    e.g
    qa um
    qo um
    It is not like german that au or eu make every different sound as they are separatly.

linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
    roh3x2n, I don't think you understood her properly either :p
    (I didn't really understand your reply either)

I think the OP is asking about how the "au" in "qaum" is pronounced.
    (Correct me if I'm wrong, OP)

The answer is, it's kind of flexible. Since it is originally an Arabic word (قوم), some people (like myself) like to stick to the Arabic pronunciation ("qawm") or in the IPA (if you're familiar with it): /kəʊm/ (the ق isn't actually pronounced the "true" Arabic way, but more like an unaspirated "k" sound - like the ك I suppose)

However you will also hear the "au" in "qaum" pronounced like the "a" in "far". So in the IPA, something like: /ka:m/. This is a more "Urdufied" way of pronouncing it.

panjabigator

Am. English
    I must say it the Arabic way, because I pronounce it as the same "au" as in the word /kaun/. But I usually say it with a kaaf and not a qaaf because it's just easier for me (but it also depends on the speaker, because my Urdu speaking friends will make fun of me otherwise).

linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
    If you pronounce it like /kaun/ (meaning "who?") then that wouldn't be the Arabic way.

I would pronounce the ق as a ك too. I don't think you will find anyone who would pronounce it the Arabic way! It would sound way too "fussy".

It's a bit like the ض being pronounced as ز.

I must say it the Arabic way, because I pronounce it as the same "au" as in the word /kaun/. But I usually say it with a kaaf and not a qaaf because it's just easier for me (but it also depends on the speaker, because my Urdu speaking friends will make fun of me otherwise).
    So would you pronounce it in the Arabic "nice weather" - aljaw jameel - as [au]?

< Previous | Next >