Urdu - Romanized dictionary

insaaf

English - British
I have been trying to find answers on this but cannot seem to. I am new to Urdu although I have a passable knowledge of Punjabi. I cannot read any other script apart from Roman but I am making slow inroads into nastaʼlīq.

Additionally, because a lot of the Urdu I see online is romanized, I was looking for a dictionary which provided the same. The dictionaries provided in the pinned post do not seem to be organised in this way.

I found Rekhta Dictionary, which seems to do the job, but I am unsure as to the general register of the dictionary.

I know that the site, Rekhta, has a number of shayari and poetry so I was not clear as to whether the accompanying dictionary only included formal words or words utilised almost exclusive in poetry and the like. I do not have the requisite knowledge of Urdu to make that distinction.

So my question is really whether the dictionary above would be a good, romanized, general purpose English - Urdu dictionary.

Thanks

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I have been trying to find answers on this but cannot seem to. I am new to Urdu although I have a passable knowledge of Punjabi. I cannot read any other script apart from Roman but I am making slow inroads into nastaʼlīq.

Additionally, because a lot of the Urdu I see online is romanized, I was looking for a dictionary which provided the same. The dictionaries provided in the pinned post do not seem to be organised in this way.

I found Rekhta Dictionary, which seems to do the job, but I am unsure as to the general register of the dictionary.

I know that the site, Rekhta, has a number of shayari and poetry so I was not clear as to whether the accompanying dictionary only included formal words or words utilised almost exclusive in poetry and the like. I do not have the requisite knowledge of Urdu to make that distinction.

So my question is really whether the dictionary above would be a good, romanized, general purpose English - Urdu dictionary.

Thanks
    The following two dictionaries would be a good start for you.

A dictionary of Urdu, classical Hindi, and English.

Kitabistan's 20th century standard dictionary

You will soon get used to using them.

I am not too impressed with the Rekhta dictionary.

• Agree
    Reactions: Gop

insaaf

English - British
    Thank you very much for that. I find the entries a little difficult to read on the links provided (because of spacing, formatting, and so on). Would you recommend that I purchase the corresponding dictionary and use the links to find the page? I imagine the ordering would not accord to the Roman alphabet?

Qureshpor

Thank you very much for that. I find the entries a little difficult to read on the links provided (because of spacing, formatting, and so on). Would you recommend that I purchase the corresponding dictionary and use the links to find the page? I imagine the ordering would not accord to the Roman alphabet?
    When I click on these links, they appear clear as crystal on my computer screen. I don't really know why you are facing the problems you are. You can press control and plus at the same time to enlarge what you see on your computer screen. I am afraid I am not an IT wizard like some people. Perhaps another forum friend might be able to assist with your predicament.

insaaf

English - British
    Hi Qureshpor. Sorry, to clarify, I meant pages like page 2. If you do a search for آب on the Kitabistan link, it is a little difficult for me to tell the words apart.

Qureshpor

Hi Qureshpor. Sorry, to clarify, I meant pages like page 2. If you do a search for آب on the Kitabistan link, it is a little difficult for me to tell the words apart.
    When I copy/pasted آب in the search box, the results are displaced and آب is the first one in the list. This is what I see very clearly.

1) آب āb (p. 2) ...5) splendour; elegence (6) dignity; honour آب آب کرنا ā'b ā...

insaaf

English - British
    Thank you, I think what I was doing incorrectly was clicking the page number rather than the corresponding Urdu but clicking the word itself is much clearer.