Urdu: surgery

Alfaaz

English
Background: "You can come in tomorrow morning and I'll do your surgery!"

Surgery: چیر پھاڑ عمل جراحی

Question: How could the sentence above be translated into Urdu? Which words would be better in the following attempt:

آپ کل صبح آجائیے گا اور میں آپکا چیر پھاڑ کر دوں گا! This sounds like something a vampire would be saying in a horror movie.....:eek:
آپ کل صبح آجائیے گا اور میں آپکا / آپکی جراحی کر دوں گا!

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Background: "You can come in tomorrow morning and I'll do your surgery!"

Surgery: چیر پھاڑ عمل جراحی

Question: How could the sentence above be translated into Urdu? Which words would be better in the following attempt:

آپ کل صبح آجائیے گا اور میں آپکا چیر پھاڑ کر دوں گا! This sounds like something a vampire would be saying in a horror movie.....:eek:
    آپ کل صبح آجائیے گا اور میں آپکا / آپکی جراحی کر دوں گا!

Your English sentence is essentially this.

You can come in tomorrow morning and I shall perform surgery on you.

aap kal apne 3amal-i-jarraaHii (aapreshan) ke liye aa jaa'iye gaa [aage aap kii qismat..jaan bach ga'ii to Ghaniimat!]

Last edited:

Qureshpor

Thanks for replying.

So one has to use the whole phrase عمل جراحی ?

Well, "jarraaHii" (surgery) is the craft of a "jarraaH" (a surgeon). One act/operation using his/her craft is a "surgical operation", which in English is shortened to just "operation". In Urdu, "aap kii jarraaHii kar duuN gaa" does not seem correct to me.

Alfaaz

English
    This to me is "butchery" not "surgery"! Even the stitches would need a rope not some fine material!
    Thanks for the confirmation. I guess it could be used for "dissection" of cadavers or animals...

Faylasoof

English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Here is a more polite way to put it:

آپ کل صبح تشریف لے آئیں میں آپکی بخوبی چیر پھاڑ کر دوں گا

OK! I was a joking!

We use the following instead for surgery:

3amal-e-jarraaHii عمل جَراحی
    (surgical operation)
    or
    جَرَاحَت jarraaHat
    or
    نشتر زنی nishtar zanii

(nishtar = lancet).

Platts has:

A P جراحي jarrāḥī, adj. & s.f. Surgical, chirurgical;—surgery:—jarrāḥī-kā 'amal, s.m. The practice of surgery; a surgical operation.

Usage:

آپ کل صبح تشریف لے آئیں میں آپکی عمل جرّاحی کر دوں گا

آپ کل صبح تشریف لے آئیں میں آپکی نشتر زنی کر دوں گا

Please come tomorrow morning, I’ll do your surgery!

[... and the related terms: جَرّاحِیّات jarraaHiyyaat / 3ilm-e-jarraHii علم جَراحی = Science of surgery.]

Qureshpor

آپ کل صبح تشریف لے آئیں میں آپکی عمل جرّاحی کر دوں گا

Please come tomorrow morning, I’ll do your surgery!

Faylasoof SaaHib, should your sentence possibly have "aap kaa" in place of "aap kii"?

Qureshpor

السلام عليكم فيلسوف صاحب
    Should this be jiraaHat, not jarraaHat?

Abu Talha SaaHib, as far as Urdu is concerned my understanding is that "jiraahat" means " a wound/a sour". I have to confess that "jarraaHat" for an operation was n't in one or two dictionaries I looked in but I don't see why such a word should n't exist.

Abu Talha

Urdu
    Abu Talha SaaHib, as far as Urdu is concerned my understanding is that "jiraahat" means " a wound/a sour".
    You're right Qureshpor Saahib. This is the meaning I see in Classical Arabic dictionaries too. However, Wehr lists jiraaHah for "surgery" in MSA and the pattern fi3aalah seems to be regularly used for the craft of a fa33aal, e.g., nijaarah (carpentry) for najjaar, Hidaadah (smithcraft) for Haddaad, Tibaaxah (culinary arts) for Tabbaax, etc.
    I have to confess that "jarraaHat" for an operation was n't in one or two dictionaries I looked in but I don't see why such a word should n't exist.
    I'm not sure but I don't know if a taa mabuuTah can be added to a given word regularly. The nisba -iyy, -iyyah often is, subject to certain rules, as far as I know.

Sheikh_14

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi
    Thanks for replying.

So one has to use the whole phrase عمل جراحی ?
    A'ml e jarraaHii is the most formal way of saying it. You can indeed say jarraaHii alone as most languages including Arabic have adapted to the English operation. Cheer-phaaR signifies more a dissection than an operation and can be used in a more jocular fashion I.e. aaj kitnoN kii cheer-phaaR kii, morbid black humour that can only be comprehended by either the medical fraternity or criminals of the underworld. I have never heard cheer-phaaR being used for a surgical procedure itself. For that JarraaHii would suffice.

"Aap kaa mau'id baraa'e jarraaHii kal subH 9 baje tai hai. Bi'l-zuruur waqt par pesh aa'ii gaa."

Your surgical appointment is set for 9 a.m. tomorrow morning. Be sure to arrive on time.

Using a'ml therefore is redundant and highly formal. Platts indicates this by noting jarraaHii alone denotes a surgery.

جراحي jarrāḥī, adj. & s.f. Surgical, chirurgical;—surgery.

The difference between jarraaHii and aml e jarraaHii is reminiscent to the redundant usage of surgical in surgical operation.