US Notarization standard text

< Previous | Next >

Draminos

Greek-Greece
Hello, could someone explain to me in simple words what the following standard text of US notarization says? I can hardly understand its syntax and meaning, although the vocabulary is simple.

"California All-purpose acknowledgment

On ________________________ before me, __________________________, Notary Public, personally appeared: ______________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________, who proved to me on the basis of satisfactory evidence to be the person(s) whose name(s) is/are subscribed to the within instrument and acknowledged to me that he / she / they executed the same in his / her / their authorized capacity (ies), and that by his / her / their signature(s) on the instrument the person(s), or the entity upon behalf of which the person(s) acted, executed the instrument."

I guess that "the within instrument" is a document attached to the notarization
But "They executed the same"? "In his / her / their authorized capacity"?

Thank you!

• fiercediva

American English
    In legal parlance, "executing a document" means that a person has completed and formally signed it. They have also shown the notary (with proof of identification) that they are the person who is authorized (=having official license or permission) to do so, so the notary can validate the document.

Draminos

Greek-Greece
    Thank your for your help, fiercediva! Can I bother you a little bit more?
    The attached document to which the text refers to is an employment certificate signed by an ex-employer of the person concerned (=the person who personally appeared before the notary). In that case, what is the meaning of the phrase:

he (=the person who personally appeared before the notary) executed the same in his authorized capacity (ies), and that by his signature on the instrument the person, or the entity upon behalf of which the person acted, executed the instrument"

The person who is before the notary has neither signed nor in any other way interfered on the document
    (employment certificate), which was issued by his ex-employer.

Thank you in advance!

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    fiercediva has given an outstanding explanation.
    Because I'm neurotic, I'll give a much shorter, perhaps (I hope) more understandable version than the legalese in the form.

Just so you know, this text is what we call 'boilerplate' and is used thousands of times every day to notarize documents of all types.
    If you have a contract, sometimes the Notary will have a stamp, and will stamp the last page, and fill out the form.
    Sometimes this text is on a separate piece of paper that might be attached to the contract.

California All-purpose acknowledgment
    On July 7, 2015 in front of me, George Washington, Notary Public, Thomas Jefferson personally appeared, and he proved with photo identification to be the person whose name is on this document
    and he told me that he signed the document and wanted to make it legal because he is allowed to do it by signing the document he has finished the legal requirements.

Last edited:

fiercediva

American English
    Thank your for your help, fiercediva! Can I bother you a little bit more?
    The attached document to which the text refers to is an employment certificate signed by an ex-employer of the person concerned (=the person who personally appeared before the notary). In that case, what is the meaning of the phrase:

he (=the person who personally appeared before the notary) executed the same in his authorized capacity (ies), and that by his signature on the instrument the person, or the entity upon behalf of which the person acted, executed the instrument"

The person who is before the notary has neither signed nor in any other way interfered on the document
    (employment certificate), which was issued by his ex-employer.

Thank you in advance!
    This varies from state to state in the U.S., but sometimes when the signer cannot personally appear in front of the notary, someone else can bring the notary the document as a subscribing witness (who saw the signer do the deed and whose identity is known to the notary or proven by a third party known to the notary.) More than that is beyond the scope of my knowledge.

Draminos

Greek-Greece
    This varies from state to state in the U.S., but sometimes when the signer cannot personally appear in front of the notary, someone else can bring the notary the document as a subscribing witness (who saw the signer do the deed and whose identity is known to the notary or proven by a third party known to the notary.) More than that is beyond the scope of my knowledge.
    Thank you very much! I appreciate your help!

Draminos

Greek-Greece
    fiercediva has given an outstanding explanation.
    Because I'm neurotic, I'll give a much shorter, perhaps (I hope) more understandable version than the legalese in the form.

Just so you know, this text is what we call 'boilerplate' and is used thousands of times every day to notarize documents of all types.
    If you have a contract, sometimes the Notary will have a stamp, and will stamp the last page, and fill out the form.
    Sometimes this text is on a separate piece of paper that might be attached to the contract.

California All-purpose acknowledgment
    On July 7, 2015 in front of me, George Washington, Notary Public, Thomas Jefferson personally appeared, and he proved with photo identification to be the person whose name is on this document
    and he told me that he signed the document and wanted to make it legal because he is allowed to do it by signing the document he has finished the legal requirements.
    Thank you, TimLa! But I now am more confused: "he proved with photo identification to be the person whose name is on this document" Which document, the so-called "boilerplate" or the document attached to it (the employment certificate)? What is the meaning of the "within document", anyway?

Draminos

Greek-Greece
    Thank you, TimLa! But I now am more confused: "he proved with photo identification to be the person whose name is on this document" Which document, the so-called "boilerplate" or the document attached to it (the employment certificate)? What is the meaning of the "within document", anyway?
    Thanks a lot!

< Previous | Next >