USA-Latin American countries

Laurateacher

Spanish- Argentina
Hi all,
I'd like to know if you consider this utterance well-structured and grammatically correct:

I have selected the most representative excerpts that illustrate how, by means of linguistic features; the dominant and so-called supportive hegemony of the United States is treated as the only feasible mediator force that could shed light to the blurred political and social reality of Latin American countries.

Thanks,
Laura

• zspan

English - California
    No, that sentence is not correct. The use of the semicolon would indicate the end of a sentence with another to follow it very closely related to complete the idea. However in this sentence, the phrase before the semi-colon is a fragment. It needs to be a complete sentence.

Laurateacher

Spanish- Argentina
    Hi,
    Well I agree with you with regard to the semicolon, but, if I just put a comma, I believe it sounds ok. (whatever between commas can be ommitted, and you get the idea:I have selected the most representative excerpts that illustrate how, by means of linguistic features, the dominant and so-called supportive hegemony of the United States is treated as the only feasible mediator force that could shed light to the blurred political and social reality of Latin American countries)

Laura

gasman

Canada, English
    I have selected the most representative excerpts to illustrate, by means of linguistic features, why the so-called supportive hegemony of the United States is treated as the only feasible mediator that could shed light on the blurred political and social reality of the Latin American countries.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Now that the minor grammar issues are resolved, I question whether a force can shed light on anything:

"...mediator force that could shed light on the blurred political and social reality"

gasman

Canada, English
    Perhaps, "resolve" would be an improvement on"shed light on", but I suspect we all understand the intent of the original.

< Previous | Next >