Usage (bullying, bullies)

fatfat116

Chinese
Hello, I got a fault when I was doing an usage exercise.

Question
What can I do to stop text bullying?
Who can I talk to about text bullying?
How can I make sure I never get text __________?
a. bullying b. bullied

I chose a but the answer is b. Can anyone tell me why? Thank you

• Glenfarclas

English (American)
    "Get + past participle" means to have something happen to you. If you "get bullied", then someone bullies you. It doesn't really make any sense with the present participle.

fatfat116

Chinese
    "Get + past participle" means to have something happen to you. If you "get bullied", then someone bullies you. It doesn't really make any sense with the present participle.
    Can text bullying be a combine noun?
    or can we use bullying - present participle to show the action is general action, always happen?

fatfat116

Chinese
    It could, but we would not say that you "get" it, so it cannot be the answer to your question.

Not in your example sentence, no.
    Even the sentence is 'never get text bullying - never get something (a noun)'?
    Do you mean we would not say we never get something (a noun) or we would not say text bullying in this way? Thank You

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    we would not say text bullying in this way?
    This. It's possible to use "text bullying" as a noun phrase ("Text bullying is a growing problem"), but "to get text bullying" does not have any meaning that could possibly fit in your example. When a person dies in an accident, we can say that he "got killed," but never that he "got killing." Use the past participle in that sort of construction.

fatfat116

Chinese
    This. It's possible to use "text bullying" as a noun phrase ("Text bullying is a growing problem"), but "to get text bullying" does not have any meaning that could possibly fit in your example. When a person dies in an accident, we can say that he "got killed," but never that he "got killing." Use the past participle in that sort of construction.
    Thank you. I got what you mean.:thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >