Usage of 助詞

< Previous | Next >

winniewong1234

Chinese
The following sentences are from this passage and I have a few questions about the usage of 助詞.

1. その後も、台湾での検査状況と武漢・中国での伝染病情報、毎日アップデートされている。
Why was "" is used? Could it be "が"?

2. 厚労省のホームページ(HP)でも「WHOなどのリスク評価では、持続的なヒトからヒトへの感染の明らかな証拠ない」と表記。

3. 「中央伝染病指揮センター」陳時中・衛生福利部長直接指揮することになる。
Can it be "「中央伝染病指揮センター」陳時中・衛生福利部長直接指揮することになる。"?

Many thanks!

• SoLaTiDoberman

Japanese
    1. その後も、台湾での検査状況と武漢・中国での伝染病情報、毎日アップデートされている。
    -->It is because は sounds natural to native Japanese speakers' ears. が could be there, but sounds less natural.

2. 厚労省のホームページ(HP)でも「WHOなどのリスク評価では、持続的なヒトからヒトへの感染の明らかな証拠ない」と表記。
    -->It is because は sounds a little more natural to native Japanese speakers' ears. が could be there as well. In this context, I think you can choose whichever though.

3. 「中央伝染病指揮センター」衛生福利部長の)陳時中直接指揮することになる。
    Can it be "「中央伝染病指揮センター」陳時中によって直接指揮されることになる。"? 
    ---> Yes.
    Many thanks!
    In order to indicate the subject, は or が is used in Japanese.
    So when you read or listen to Japanese sentences, you may just think the word before が is the subject of the sentence and the word before は can be the subject (or maybe the object) of the sentence.

When you write or speak Japanese, it is very difficult for non-native speakers to choose which correctly.
    For example, the distinction between the definite article "the" and the indefinite article "a/an" in English seems difficult for non-native speakers, but は/が distinction is much more difficult.
    If you want to know how to distinguish, you should read thick Japanese grammar textbooks.
    If you can choose which correctly, you're an advanced Japanese learner.

The wrong choice of は/が may sound just weird or funny for native speakers' ears, but, fortunately, the sentence can be understood correctly most of the cases.

If I make a simple advice here:
    Basically you can choose whichever as the subject indicating particle when you speak or write.
    Choose は as the subject indicating particle if you want to make the sentence to sound natural in many cases, in my humble opinion.
    Choose が as the subject indicating particle if you want to avoid grammatical fatal error, although it may sound funny in some cases.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >