usage of "an of the/these/those"

< Previous | Next >

zRajiv

India (Hindi)
Hi everyone!
i have come across many usages of the phrase "an of the/these/those" in place of the usual "one of the/these/those".
i think that it does make a sense but is this legal and proper according to the ENGLISH LANGUAGE???
please please help me out!!!

• zRajiv

India (Hindi)
    surely i can!
    i searched in google.com the following (including quotations)
    "an of the"
    and found the phrase being used in many websites including Weikipedia and some Oxford site too!!!
    u urself can search and confirm it!
    the usages were like:
    an of the most beautiful... (weikipedia)
    an of the best managers of... (some business site)
    and many many others too!!!
    i hope to come to an conclusion soon....!
    thanks for ur concerns!!!

Orange Blossom

U.S.A. English
    Please provide a full sentence, or perhaps more than a full sentence, complete with all punctuation marks. Even the smallest of punctuation marks can make a significant difference in meaning. My doing a search using google yields many kinds of documents. some of the 'an's' are the endings of words in other languages. Some of the 'an's' preceded quoted text. Without knowing specifically what you are seeing in which you think the 'an' should be 'one', we really cannot assist you.

Orange Blossom

zRajiv

India (Hindi)
    here are the details (searched in google)...

XXXIII. And if it happens that in either Chamber, an of the managers shall get into such a situation, that he cannot make good what was entrusted to him during his administration, and in consequence thereof any loss shall happen, such Chamber shall be liable for ........

An of the advantages of open source is that Linux allows rapid software bug detection and elimination, which is important for correcting security exploits, certainly these days now.(wikipedia)

From this period dates an Allegory of the elements water and air, made out of a walru tusk (an of the most beautiful examples of ivory carving)(ca. 1688-1690) and the ivory equestrian statues of .... (wikipedia)

i'm so sorry but i'm not allowed to post the web addresses so i may mail them to u (let me know ur e-mail id)!
    and i'd by much happy to post more examples!
    thanks once again!!!

okey-dokey

English / UK, London
    An of the advantages of open source is that Linux allows rapid software bug detection and elimination, which is important for correcting security exploits, certainly these days now.(wikipedia)
    (wikipedia)
    ... written in English by a non-native writer (probably Belgian). The writer should have written "One of the ... ." This explains all the examples you quoted.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    I think we are seeing the notorious problem with Wikipedia displaying itself here. There is no formal checking of grammar/spelling when people post things. And many semi-literate entries are to be found.

The chances are that most of the uses of "an of the" are intended to be "one of the" but are badly translated, or they may be typographical errors which ought to read "any of the".

< Previous | Next >