usage of 'sans'

< Previous | Next >

Animagus

Hindi, Marathi, English
Hi,

When 'sans' is used in a sentence, will the noun that follows 'sans' take an article (le/la/l')?

e.g. I cannot stay office without working (hmm... not a very good example i know...could not think of anything better.)

donc, est-ce que ça serai : 'Je ne peux pas rester dans mon bureau sans travail' ou bien 'Je ne peux pas rester dans mon bureau sans le travail'. ??

I would appreciate it if you could come up with a better sentence as I could not :eek:

Let me know if I need to explain further as to what I am looking for.

Merci d'avance pour votre aide et encore plus pour corrigier tous mes erreurs.

~ Animagus

• xav

France
    Animagus said:
    Merci d'avance pour votre aide et encore plus pour la correction de toutes mes erreurs.
    Animagus
    Pas d'article ici : "sans travail". On dira plus volontiers "sans travailler", which doesn't exactly mean the same thing ("sans travail" means you don't have any work to do, "sans travailler" means you don't work...).

"sans..." without article means "without any..." : the contrary of "with (a/some)..."
    "sans le/la..." means "without the..."

gm9617d

Hi, Animagus,
    If you mean that you cannot stay in your office without working, then it is probably:- "je ne peux pas rester dans mon bureau sans travailler".

If you mean that you cannot stay in your office if you have no work to do, that it would probably be "je ne peux pas rester dans mon bureau sans travail"
    GerryGM

< Previous | Next >