Usage of simple past

Veera

India-Tamil & Telugu
Hi all,

"At my childhood days, I remembered that I used to go to school by bus.
It was hardly more than two hours journey from my hometown to school.
While travelling, I have seen very huge hills, plenty of trees, beautiful flowers and attractive valleys acorss the road."

Can I Use simple past here? Is there any confusion in the tenses which I have used here? Does it sounds better?
Please suggest me.

Please this is not a proof reading exercise. This is just to confirm that the way of using tenses is appropriate or not .

Thanks in advance.

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    No, sorry, but simple past doesn't sound right in all places. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question.

I might say: From my childhood days, I remember that I used to go to school by bus. It was hardly more than two hours journey from my hometown to school. While traveling, I saw ....

Last edited:

Veera

India-Tamil & Telugu
    Thanks perpend . Now I understand the usage of tenses clearly with your explanation. So, not always simple past right in all places. Thank you.

Milayou

American English
    (I would use "in my childhood days" instead of "from" or "at.")

In the first sentence you would use "remember" instead of "remembered" because "remember" means you are currently thinking about your past, whereas "remembered" means that in your childhood days you thought about your past.

You would use "I saw" instead of "I have seen" because "I saw" refers to that specific period in time, your childhood. "I have seen" implies a much longer period of time, like your entire life: to me, "I have seen very huge hills, plenty of trees, beautiful flowers and attractive valleys across the road" means that over the course of your entire life you have seen each of those things at different times.

Hope this helps!

< Previous | Next >