Usage of 'Touche'?

terrortwilight

South Korea, Korean
I've encountered the term (actually more of an interjection) several times before, and just figured out the meaning of it the hard way(spell didn't hit me at first - thought it was toshay/tooshay or something along those lines)

Now I know it means 'to acknowledge a hit in fencing or a successful criticism or an effective point in argument' :D

But STILL, I think I'm in need of a few 'real-life' examples in full with a brief description as to what sort of situation might induce the usage of it in actual conversations. ('in specific' would be much appreciated)

Thanks in advance.

PS - Love the forum, it's been really helpful!

• vachecow

USA English
    "Touche" is used in an argument when one side knows they've lost and there is no point in going on.

For some reason right now I'm having a hard time thinking of a good example, but here it goes:

Person 1: You're an idiot. How could you forget the paint back at the warehouse?

Person2: At least I didn't forget to put gas in the car, like last time. (When person 1 didnt refuel the car and they both got stuck in the middle of nowhere)

Person2:Touche

AWordLover

USA English
    A and B are having a friendly discussion (or more likely a friendly argument).

A: Don't challenge me on this point, I'm never wrong about X.
    B: What about last Tuesday, when you made that hugh costly mistake.
    A: Touche. [You've made an effective point in this argument]

terrortwilight

South Korea, Korean
    Thank you all for your kind replies, now I seem to get it!

"Touche" is used in an argument when one side knows they've lost and there is no point in going on.

For some reason right now I'm having a hard time thinking of a good example, but here it goes:

Person 1: You're an idiot. How could you forget the paint back at the warehouse?

Person2: At least I didn't forget to put gas in the car, like last time. (When person 1 didnt refuel the car and they both got stuck in the middle of nowhere)

Person3:Touche
    vachecow, I have a question:
    Can Person3(third person, so to speak) also say Toche when the conversation is solely between Person1 and Person2?
    (I suppose it would somehow be possible, but only in a sarcastic manner or when Person3 is being facetious)

Hope someone can touch on that too. (as far as subtlety goes)

retro

England - English
    It could be possible for a third party to use Touché, but it would be rare. However, you do see such interruptions quite often. Basically what any such interruption would be saying (and this could be used) is, "Ahh, he's got you there!"

This could even be a simple one-word sentence. Perhaps if it were a particularly harsh rebuttal, person 3 might simply say, "Ouch!" If they were in agreement with the person who made the rebuttal, they might just say, "true", "I agree" or "fair point".

vachecow

USA English
    Sorry about that! :eek: :eek: That was actually a typo. :eek:

Although it does bring up a good point. If a third person were to say that, like in my original example, they would be siding with person 2 and saying that person 1 doesn't have a reason to be mad at person 2.

Sorry for confusing you,
    VC

terrortwilight

South Korea, Korean
    OMG those were some really awesome explanations.
    Tons of 'lingual' burden off my shoulders, really appreciate it!

terrortwilight

South Korea, Korean
    Having the appropriate keyboard, I'm able to give you the appropriate spelling. It's touché. Well, at least, that's how it's spelt in my Concise Oxford.
    haha yeah, I seriously wished I could put that little mark in but then again with this crap keyboard... I'm stuck! :p
    (honestly though, thanks for the clarification dude!)

terrortwilight

South Korea, Korean
    You too can type with accents marks(if you are not too lazy).
    Wowzers...had I known!
    Thanks a bunch for the info.
    I might have to sift through that list before I go to sleep...

blasé, cachét.... hehe see, I'm pretty quick at learning new things XD

zipp404

Bilingual English|Español

Person2:Touche
    In the above example of the usage of Touché, isn't Person 1 the one who would say 'Touché', instead of Person 2?

Maywind

English - USA
    Has the use of "touché" declined in recent years? No one I asked says they still use it. Thanks.

< Previous | Next >