uscire dal personaggio

gatoescondido

Italian
hello everyone,
I'm translating a text dealing with cinema and actors. the line causing me problems goes as follows:

"sta uscendo dal personaggio"

I am totally blank on that! the only things coming to my mind are too literal...so please help me!

thanks already

• gatoescondido

Italian
    stepping out of the character seems to be the most fitting...
    just to check: the director just shouted Cut! and the actor seems not be able to step out of character...would that work?
    thanks!

neuromatico

English (Canadian)
    Without seeing the original Italian,

The director shouted "Cut!", yet the actor seemed unable to step out of character.

Juri

italian/Slovenia
    Dont confuse more meanings:

A good actor is ever able to step in character.
    To a good actor also can happen he cannot step quite well in character.

A bad actor seems unable to step in the right character.

Actors who are unable to step out of character, really don't exist!

neuromatico

English (Canadian)
    Don't confuse more meanings::cross:[I have no idea what you're saying here].

A good actor is ever [ever is correct, but I prefer] always able to step into character.

To a good actor also can happen he cannot step quite well in character. :cross:
    [I'm sorry, but this one's a bit of a mess].
    Even a good actor can have difficulty stepping into character.

A bad actor seems unable to step in the right character. :cross:
    ["Bad actor" is an expression for someone, not an actor, who behaves badly in general. I would use unskilled or inexperienced].
    An inexperienced actor may be unable to step into character.

Actors who are unable to step out of character, really don't exist!
    [Except for the misplaced comma, this sentence is grammatically correct. It just doesn't make sense].
    This seems pretty brutal. I hope you don't mind. :)

Juri

italian/Slovenia
    Thanks for corrections.It's hard to express myself in English I learnt 50 years ago.
    My last sentence has sense.Inexperienced actor is able to step out of character; but not unable.

Juri

italian/Slovenia
    E' normale che l' attore entri, si compenetri nel personaggio.
    Ma puo' capitare invece, persino a un bravo attore, di non riuscirci abbastanza.In tal caso il critico puo' scrivere che che l'attore e' uscito dal personaggio, nel senso che, putacaso, non recitava una parte a lui congeniale, o che non la sentiva abbastanza, o che il regista non si e' ingegnato per farcelo entrare.
    Se si tratta di un attore principiante e' piu' facile che non sia aderente al personaggio, come ideato dall'autore,che ne esca quindi.
    Nel contesto quindi e' positiva la capacita' di entrare(able to step in), negativa la capacita' di uscire( to step out)
    mentre non esiste l'incapacita' di uscire.Percio':
    The concept of unskilled actor who is unable to step out don't exist.

neuromatico

English (Canadian)
    E' normale che l' attore entri, si compenetri nel personaggio.
    Ma puo' capitare invece, persino a un bravo attore, di non riuscirci abbastanza.In tal caso il critico puo' scrivere che che l'attore e' uscito dal personaggio, nel senso che, putacaso, non recitava una parte a lui congeniale, o che non la sentiva abbastanza, o che il regista non si e' ingegnato per farcelo entrare.
    Se si tratta di un attore principiante e' piu' facile che non sia aderente al personaggio, come ideato dall'autore,che ne esca quindi.
    Nel contesto quindi e' positiva la capacita' di entrare(able to step in), negativa la capacita' di uscire( to step out)
    mentre non esiste l'incapacita' di uscire.Percio':
    The concept of unskilled actor who is unable to step out don't exist.
    Avevo richiesto una sola frase, non una dissertazione! :)

Tuttavia, l'espressione “stepping into (character)” non è adatta in ogni caso. Perciò ho sostituito alcune possibilità:

to embody/inhabit/immerse one’s self in the character/role

La seguente non è una traduzione letterale. Mi sono preso qualche libertà.

It’s natural for an actor to embody, to identify with, his character.
    However, even a great actor may fail to adequately do this. Accordingly, the critic may write that he has “stepped out of character”. In this sense, one might suppose that he didn’t play a role sympathetic to him, that he didn’t feel it deeply enough, or that the director didn’t do his best to enable him to inhabit the character.
    For novice actor, it’s easier if he doesn’t strictly adhere to the author’s conception of the character, if he “steps out of it”.
    Hence, in this context the ability to step into character is positive, the ability to step out of character is negative,……

Purtroppo, non riesco a capire l'ultima parte e non mi convince molto la mia versione inglese.
    …mentre non esiste l'incapacità' di uscire.
    …whereas the inability to step out of character doesn’t exist. :(

Ci vorrebbe qualcuno più esperto di me.

Juri

italian/Slovenia
    For "gatoescondido"(debajodelacama?:))
    is probably enough to know that to an actor(experienced or not) can happen not to embody the chracter ; it means he can step out of character.
    It is a finemess, a subtlety indeed to talk about actor, who is able or unable to do it, because unable has negative sense like "stepping out ".
    For novice actor is good to embody, to be able-let us say-to step in.
    But it is nonsense he could be unable in stepping out, (as you wrote yesterday at 7.57 PM) It is quite normal he is able to do it.
    Believe,it is better to be directors or spectators, than novice actors.;)

AsYou see,neuromatico I adopted your"embody",as in your very likable translation! Immagino quanti errori avro' fatto in questa tirata.A scanso di brutte figure, sarebbe meglio parlare come t'ha insegnato mamma!

Juri

italian/Slovenia
    No, scusa: misunderstanding!E' mia la brutta figura, quando mi incaponisco a scrivere in inglese(senza averlo mai praticato)
    "Come t'ha insegnato mamma"e' un modo di dire generico.

< Previous | Next >