Use addressing someone on the phone if who mistakenly took the phone

< Previous | Next >

ViB_Eng

Russian
Hello, Everyone!

I'd like to ask you about this case. What more better to use addressing someone on the phone of this case if I called a person (Mr/Ms/Mrs) by the phone who other mistakenly took the telephone in a office, and I need to ask the person to give the phone to a person is to talk to me on the phone? Please see below.
1) Please, hand the phone over to him/her (Mr/Ms/Mrs)
2) Please, pass the phone over to him/her (Mr/Ms/Mrs)
3) Please, give the phone over to him/her (Mr/Ms/Mrs)
4) Please pass the phone to him/her (Mr/Ms/Mrs)
The request may contain some mistakes, and I should be grateful if it's possible to correct my phrase with question more grammatically right. If you have other versions look like of it, please add!

Thank you!

Last edited:
  • SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    If I understand you correctly, you called Mr/Mrs So-and-so, but somebody else answered the phone.

"May I speak to Mr/Mrs So-and-so, please" would be an appropriate request.

Hi. I wouldn't use any term with suggests physically passing or giving a phone to someone, since that suggests the office is not modern and they can't transfer calls electronically in some fashion.

I agree with SwissPete's above excellent suggestion in post 2, that is all you need to say. You don't need to instruct the people on how to do it, they already know that. :)

Last edited:

OaksnRoses

English - United States
    Hello, May I please, speak to Mr.______?
    or
    Oh, I'm sorry. I was trying to get touch with Mr._____. If you're calling a big office and getting put on hold and sent the wrong person's phone, this phrase would work well.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Could I please talk to MS,MR XYZ, would indeed be the most simple way to say it. Or may I
    This would be easily understood, but for some reason, we usually say 'speak to' rather than 'talk to' in this context -- in my experience.

spilorrific

English - US
    ViB_Eng,
    Are we actually talking about physically handing the telephone to another person? If not, then there are excellent suggestions above.

If you actually mean that one person took the a telephone (and therefore restricted access to it), then you can use any of these:
    Please hand the phone to (John).
    Please put (John) on the phone. / Please ask (John) to come to the phone.
    Please give (John) the phone.

I agree that "speak" sounds better (more polite / professional) than "talk."

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    Some older folks might object to "could" as being a bit improper. Just for the record, the options given in the OP sound imperious. You are not asking but commanding, even though you say "please".

< Previous | Next >