Use as a linter

Alka_ithil

Spanish - Spain / Catalan - Catalonia
Hi, I'm having a look at RECESS, a tool for compiling LESS files to CSS. Somewhere in the intro text it says: "Use RECESS as a linter to keep your styles tidy and consistent.".

I can't understand the meaning of "linter", from the context I can deduce it's something like a helper but that's quite a poor definition. Any help please?

• Chasint

English - England
    I don't agree with Masood. Reading the link he provides; that appears to refer to a name not a technical term.

In fact it seems there is a term "to lint". Therefore a linter would be something that 'lints', i.e. performs the action of 'linting'.

A little bit of reading about CSS will provide clues that "to lint" actually refers to "removing lint", i.e. to tidying up CSS code.

In popular parlance, 'lint' refers to the material that collects in one's navel or in the filter of a washing machine, i.e. it is dross. In this context it appears to be a metaphor for unnecessary text/command strings.

Last edited by a moderator:

capiscuas

Spanish
    "linter" is the type of tools that are used for different programming languages in order to analyze the code style and show errors and warnings to follow that programming language style. Ex: python, its PIP8 style guidelines and many linter tools like 'pylist', 'flake8', etc.

Te sugiero que dejes la palabra linter sin traducir.

Linter es un código/herramienta/programa que permite hacer un análisis estático de un (del) código.

La verdad no sé si tenga una traducción oficial al español pero linter es conocido como linter. De allí mi sugerencia que lo dejes sin traducir.

Editado: No vi la fecha original de la pregunta (palm face), vi la fecha de la última respuesta. Una disculpa.
    Ojalá y regresara el usuario que hizo la pregunta y nos dijera como dejó el término linter.

Rafael Nogales

Spanish - Spain
    As a Spanish software engineer I can confirm, everybody use the word "linter".
    You can use "revisor de sintaxis" or something like that if the audience is not very technical (but if you're using the word "linter" is because the audience are other developers.)

lmgutie

Mexican Spanish
    As a Spanish software engineer I can confirm, everybody use the word "linter".
    You can use "revisor de sintaxis" or something like that if the audience is not very technical (but if you're using the word "linter" is because the audience are other developers.)
    I recommend Alka_ithil to check what the target audience is.
    While "linter" might be used by "everybody" in Spain, I have never heard it in Mexico.

Luis