Use of "en" with adjective

homme93

English
Hi I'm talking about "les OGM" in a French passage and I want to say that they reduce the need for pesticides because they can make their own, but it's the last bit I'm interested in.. So far I have:

ils (les ogm) nous aident aussi à réduire l'utilisation de pesticides parce que ces nouveaux produits peuvent en créer leurs propres.

Thanks.

• Aoyama

français Clodoaldien
    The sentence in itself is alright (grammatically).
    Now, the point is (as in English) that these OGM (GMO ?) can't really create "pesticide" of their own, because pesticide are chemical products. They can (to me), at best, produce "antibodies" or some kind of natural immunity against pests ...

ils (les ogm) nous aident aussi à réduire l'utilisation de pesticides parce que ces nouveaux produits peuvent créer/produire leurs propres défenses [contre les insectes etc] .

Miss003

French-France
    What is produced is a protein which needs to be in contact with digestive tractus of insects to be efficient and killed them.

Viobi

Françoué (standard)
    "peuvent créer leurs propres protéines défensives":tick:
    "en créer elles-mêmes":tick: (if en=pesticides)
    "en créer leurs propres":cross:

homme93

English
    Thanks,

I do realise that they don't actually create their own "pesticides" but the science in this particular passage isn't too important, but thank you anyway!

Aoyama

français Clodoaldien
    "peuvent créer leurs propres protéines défensives":tick: possible, right
    "en créer elles-mêmes":tick: (if en=pesticides), then, who is "elles-mêmes" ? OGM (organismes ...) is masculine
    "en créer leurs propres":cross: a bit close to English, but possible

Aoyama

français Clodoaldien
    Yes, if you leave out the "pesticides" bit.

What is produced is a protein which needs to be in contact with the digestive tractus of insects to be efficient in killing them.;)&:eek:

< Previous | Next >