Use of multiplication sign "×" (or alphabet "x") between two nouns (e.g. "features X money")

meijin

Japanese
Hi, I thought it was only we Japanese that use the multiplication sign "×" or the alphabet "x" this way, but I recently saw it used by an administrator of a popular English language-based forum for musicians (this doesn't mean that he is a native English speaker, though). The original poster of the thread posted a photo and a product description of a newly launched device (audio interface), and the administrator replied saying:

Looks really good in terms of "features X money". I wonder how it sounds.

I think he used "X" just because it was easier to type than the multiplication sign "×". Is it common to use "X/x" or "×" this way? For example, when a table in a survey report shows results by gender and age (e.g. males 20-34 y.o., females 20-34 y.o., males 35-49 y.o., females 35-49 y.o.), many Japanese report writers write "Gender × Age" in the title section. But I've never seen such an expression in English survey reports. They always say "Gender & Age".

• Retired-teacher

British English
    I have never seen either a multiplication sign or the letter x used to indicate "and" in anything written in English.

Edit. On a standard keyboard used for English, there is no separate sign for multiplication, so you have to use the letter x.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I've never seen it used this way either. I have seen people using the plus symbol for 'and'. Sometimes, I also see people using x to mean versus (and where I'd use v or vs).

Retired-teacher

British English
    I've just thought - could the multiplication sign (or x) have been an error and the person intended it to be the addition sign +. That would make sense.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Thank you all very much. I'll continue to avoid using it. :)
    Good plan:)

It is possible that the x (no matter how you create it on a keyboard) is related to "by" in, e,g., 2 x 4, referring to a piece of wood with nominal cross section dimensions of 2 inches by 4 inches. Your data segregates gender data by age category.

Still, don't use it :)

< Previous | Next >