Use of Stingy

< Previous | Next >

Mickysky

Korean
Hello...
Could you please give me an advice if it is correct sentense?

I am posting some wording on my facebook club room.
However, no body doesn't click "like" button.
So I became up set.
And am going to post below wording on the site.

"Why every member is so stingy about clicking like button on my posted wording?"
Is it correct? I am not sure if stingy is a proper word...

Please help me.
Thanks
Micky

• Copyright

American English
    If you think of Likes as currency, I suppose you could say, "Why is everyone so stingy with their Likes?"

On a practical note, I don't think you want to be whining/whinging on Facebook unless you're ready for some honest/sarcastic comments.

Mickysky

Korean
    No not at all...
    I just wanted to be encouraged by the members for my effort in posting something about.
    No one cheer me up...ha

Copyright

American English
    Since you're new here -- and apparently friendless :) -- I'll suggest that you'll get better results by putting the problem on you rather than them. So instead of "Why is everyone so stingy with their Likes?" you might try, "Waah ... I'm feeling so UnLiked" or "I just looked in my Like basket and it's empty." :eek:

Good luck. :D

Mickysky

Korean
    Wow...Good suggestion. But there are many wording that I posted on the site.
    How could I persuade the members to participate in the club and cheer each other...That's my real intention.
    How do you think?
    Thanks Copyright...

Copyright

American English
    Post more interesting things and people will Like them. :)

It's not easy to ask for Likes or suggest trading Likes just to keep your spirits up ... it sounds pitiful. Pretend there is no Facebook and just Like yourself.

Mickysky

Korean
    Post more interesting things and people will Like them. :)

It's not easy to ask for Likes or suggest trading Likes just to keep your spirits up ... it sounds pitiful. Pretend there is no Facebook and just Like yourself.
    Copyright...How old are you?
    You just are native speaker to use english a bit better than the peoples who are not native.
    What are you talking about?
    You must be modest giving your advice of proper english expression only.
    Don't be rude and cheeky.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    You may not like to hear this, but Copyright is right. People will Like things that they find interesting. If they do not Like something, they do not find it interesting. You must put yourself in their position, ask yourself "What are they interested in?" and post that. The Likes will follow. Asking for Likes is the same as saying "you do not find this interesting, so you will not Like it if I do not ask you to."

(If people in that room aren't interested in what you want to write about, find a different room where people are interested in the things that you want to write about.)

Mickysky

Korean
    You may not like to hear this, but Copyright is right. People will Like things that they find interesting. If they do not Like something, they do not find it interesting. You must put yourself in their position, ask yourself "What are they interested in?" and post that. The Likes will follow. Asking for Likes is the same as saying "you do not find this interesting, so you will not Like it if I do not ask you to."

(If people in that room aren't interested in what you want to write about, find a different room where people are interested in the things that you want to write about.)
    I must also understand a very general attitude in posting something on a website.
    Nevertheless all you don’t need to be advising any manners of his/her activities.
    As there must be various situation and feeling to do it.
    How can you understand his/her specific circumstances or situation faced?
    That’s what I am talking to Copyright.

Actually the purpose of our club is to study English and I am posting english expression sentences for their studying or just reading to have them learn or improve their english skill even though I am also learner.

There is no one posting a wording on the club site other than me.
    So I am thinking about vitalization of the club activities by posting many wordings on the site.
    So I thought if a member click Like it means they support me and are shouting to me by clicking “You are doing good job for others. Do it continuously.”

Anyway please don’t be tripping you guys as a teacher like at a school for children.
    Even if you are a teacher, you just have responsibilities guiding and helping students to try learning something by themselves, not teaching their mind, thinking or activities in their life.
    This is my advice for you and copyright.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Thank you for this explanation. If we had known this earlier, we might not have posted what we posted. However, we did not know, because you didn't tell us.

Perhaps the others in the club also don't know why you are posting what you are posting. Perhaps, if they knew this, they would feel better about it. Maybe they need an explanation also.

Mickysky

Korean
    I'll be 68 in ten days and Egmont has expressed my thoughts very politely, so I'll leave it at that.
    Sorry about asking your age...I will be 52 in a couple of months and I and you are a middle aged man...You may live for another more than 30 years...It is not too long-life nowadays.
    Anyway, I was complied to post your answered wording like below for our members.

"I am looking in my Like basket of my posted study wording and it's always empty.
    I am feeling a bit sad.…haha.
    But will try…"

Thanks for the chatting with me.
    Be happy and have a healthy day.

Copyright

American English
    Thanks for your follow-up message ... now that we know a bit more about your situation, your solution sounds fine. Cheers. :)

As for the age, it doesn't matter (and thanks for the longevity wishes). I used to display it in my profile, but I've learned that people tend to pigeonhole you based on age, among other things. It's just the way the mind works, so I decided to remove it.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >