Use of the word "write" for computer typing

< Previous | Next >

Lun-14

Banned
Hindi
Hi,

I always get confused when I use the word "write" for computer typing. I think "write" can only be used for writing that is made by the use of hand via pen/pencil etc.

I think using the word "write" for typing something on computer is not accurate and it doesn't make sense; we should just use the word "type".

For ex:
We shouldn't say: I wrote a post about the use of pluperfect tense in a thread started by a member X.:( (In spite of that, I still see people use "write" on this forum.:rolleyes:)
We should say: I typed a post about the use of pluperfect tense in a thread started by a member X.:thumbsup:

What do you think? Am I on the right track?

Thanks a lot.

• london calling

UK English
    Why, don't tell me you write e-mails using a pen and pencil?:D

I don't type e-mails and I certainly don't type posts. As a matter of fact I haven't typed anything in years, because I haven't used a typewriter for nearly 30 years.:)

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    I'm afraid, I find "write" fine and preferable there. Writing includes typing too and you don't need to say "type" unless you want to be specific.

Cross-posted with LC, and we agree.

heypresto

English - England
    Strictly speaking, you type on a typewriter. :)

No, 'write' is perfectly correct and natural here.

Do writers write books with pen and paper nowadays? (Some do, but most don't).

Cross-posted.

Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    So what should be the comprehensive definition of the word "write"?

I and everyone else here make posts by typing with the help of keyboard of the computer/touch pad or keypad of a phone...so, in this case, would it be wrong to use the verb "type"? Do you think that the verb "type" is only attached to the typewriter? (London calling's second line of post#2:confused:)

Andygc

British English
    I and everyone else here make posts by typing with the help of keyboard of the computer/touch pad or keypad of a phone
    How do you know that? It is not at all difficult to write on a computer by speaking to it. Before I retired all of my reports were spoken, not written using a keyboard.

Why do you think a typewriter is called a typewriter? Because it enables you to write using type.
    You can write with a pen, a pencil, a quill, a typewriter, a computer keyboard, a mason's chisel, a stick of charcoal, a paintbrush. The specific process is irrelevant - writing is the conversion of thoughts or spoken words to a form that is readable.

The verb "type" is a contraction of the verb "typewrite", which is the specific process of using a typewriter to write. Its meaning has extended to using other keyboards, so you can "type" your thoughts into a computer, but you are still "writing".

< Previous | Next >