use the car

< Previous | Next >

reka39

Banned
Italian
Hello! Can I use ‘levar o carro’ in the following situation?
(my father noticed that I’m going out and says) : ‘You can use my car, I refueled it this morning’.
My attempt: ‘pode levar o carro,..’
Is that right? Or does ‘levar o carro’ convey another idea? Might it imply that I’m not driving it? For example, if I say ‘não levo o carro, mesmo que esteja pouco trânsito’, does it simply mean I won’t use the car? Do you have other expression to say the same thing? Thanks!!

• WILL.IM

Portuguese - Brazil
    HAHAH that's a little confused, but here we go.

When you say '' You can use my car'' your father is trying to say - Você pode usar/ pegar meu carro. But if he says it that be a reason, you supposed asked him if he let you drive his car. My father noticed that i'm going out - Is not a good reason, only if you're going out so so so far or in a emergency case. usually in brazil we're not going anywhere just by car we can use bus as well.

''Levar o carro''
    has another idea when you're being rob or steal depending on the idea. but your dad let you use his car. so the idea of robing or stealing is vanished - Exemple de um assalto/rob ''Você pode levar o carro, mas por favor não quero confusão''

Não levo o carro, Is not correct. you can use or should use ''drive'' the car - I'm not drive yet. so/então you're supposing you have afraid of crash your father's car. You have a little knowledge in driving cars but you dont feel able to drive yet

''Eu não dirijo ainda, mesmo que tenha pouco trânsito''
    Its simply mean you wont drive the car because you're afraid of crashing it

Eu não vou dirigir - Normal
    Eu não vou conduzir - Formal Term
    Eu não vou levar - we use this, but when we have to go in a place and we have to use the car
    Eu vou levar o carro para o mecânico or Eu vou levar o carro comigo(this simply mean you have to go somewhere or your're being rob - Eu vou levar o carro - thief/ladrão saying

Se você ainda tiver duvidas ou eu não consegui responder sua pergunta principal, mande o post denovo eu tento ajuda-lo/a

Last edited:

reka39

Banned
    Italian
    Thanks for the help. So, returning to one of my question, if I say: ‘não levo o carro, mesmo que esteja pouco trânsito’ it means that probably I’m talking to sb that is located in the place I want to reach, am I right?

Jabir

Portuguese - Brazil
    Yes, reka, you're right, but it is better to not use "levar" here at all, because it is not so simple.

WILL.IM

Portuguese - Brazil
    Thanks for the help. So, returning to one of my question, if I say: ‘não levo o carro, mesmo que esteja pouco trânsito’ it means that probably I’m talking to sb that is located in the place I want to reach, am I right?
    if I say: ‘não levo o carro, mesmo que esteja pouco trânsito’ it means that probably I’m talking to sb that is located in the place I want to reach, am I right?
    NO

When you say '' Não levo o carro, mesmo que esteja pouco trânsito'' means that you aren't driving the car, but sb are.

I'M talking to sb that is located in the place i want to reach << I couldnt understand it.

'cause you say: '' Eu não levo/dirijo*(appropriate)/conduzo o carro, mesmo que esteja pouco trânsito. obviously you are with sb you know. if this person asked it to you. You wanna drive this car? then you answer: Eu(subject) não dirigo o carro, mesmo que esteja pouco trânsito.
    The reason of you dont drive the car, is because your afraid or you do not trust yourself 'cause you are a novice driver, even if it has few cars on the road/ even if it has few traffic

you got it? how you say : Não levo o carro, mesmo que tenha pouco trânsito then you ask me if you're talking to sb that is located in the place i want to reach?
    You and your friend are suppose in the car. if you want reach in somewhere you just have to ask him.

Eu não dirijo, mesmo que tenha pouco trânsito até a padaria
    Você poderia me levar até lá(na padaria)?

HAHAHAH your question is really complicated, its because you are not finding a way to explain wht you really want to ask.

if it didnt help you, try ask me again.

englishmania

Português Europeu
    Hello! Can I use ‘levar o carro’ in the following situation?
    (my father noticed that I’m going out and says) : ‘You can use my car, I refueled it this morning’.
    My attempt: ‘pode levar o carro,..’
    Is that right? Or does ‘levar o carro’ convey another idea? Might it imply that I’m not driving it? For example, if I say ‘não levo o carro, mesmo que esteja pouco trânsito’, does it simply mean I won’t use the car? Do you have other expression to say the same thing? Thanks!!

Podes levar o meu carro
    is perfectly fine in European Portuguese.
    Não levo o carro, mesmo que esteja pouco trânsito. I'd say it means that you won't drive... you'll walk.
    (If this is supposed to be the answer to your father's question, I'd say it differently, as there's something odd about the verb tenses and general meaning here)

Não vou levar o carro, a Maria dá-me boleia.
    (for example, you go to a party but you're not taking the car there, you're leaving it somewhere else closer to your house and someone else is giving you a ride/lift)

Other examples:

Até para ir ao café uso o carro.
    Vou de carro para o café (aqui perto)... Habituei-me, agora é raro andar a pé.

Different meaning:
    Eu levo o carro até X e a partir daí conduzes tu.

Last edited:

reka39

Banned
    Italian
    Thank you, englishmania, your explanation helped a lot. Just a little doubt remains. What’s the difference between usar and levar? Perhaps ‘usar’ conveys the idea of routine, while ‘levar’ denotes a specific situation, is that right? If sb tells you ‘Não levo o carro, mesmo que esteja pouco trânsito’, would you understand that he doesn’t use the car every day to go to work, for example, or the decision to go to work by bus is something that is taken exceptionally today?

WILL.IM

Portuguese - Brazil
    What’s the difference between usar and levar? Perhaps ‘usar’ conveys the idea of routine, while ‘levar’ denotes a specific situation, is that right?

Eu uso o caro diariamente para ir ao trabalho < routine
    Eu dirijo todas às vezes que tenho que ir ao serviço < you can use the verb dirigir < is a routine, 'cause always he has to go to his work, he drive his car to get there.

Eu levo/dirijo o carro dessa vez < without a specific situation, but all the situations have reasons : '' Eu levo/digijo o carro dessa vez por que eu quero/ por que eu preciso [...]/ por que eu quero aprender( ter conhecimento/confiança além da que você já possui) a dirigir.

''If sb tells you ‘Não levo o carro, mesmo que esteja pouco trânsito’, would you understand that he doesn’t use the car every day to go to work, for example, or the decision to go to work by bus is something that is taken exceptionally today?''

''Não levo o carro, mesmo que esteja pouco trânsito'', agora que você justificou seu pensamento, podemos entender.
    Sem nenhum contexto é totamente impossível entender o que você quer dizer.
    (Now you explain your thoughts, now i can understand. without a context is totally impossible to comprehend)

''Não levo o carro, mesmo que esteja pouco trânsito'', pode ser uma afirmação. sem o contexto podemos imaginar que você seja um iniciante em dirigir carros, ou você têm medo de bate-lôs em rodovias tanto com poucos ou muitos carros.
    (can be an affirmation. without a context we can think you're be a beginner in driving, or you have afraid of crash on highways with either few or many cars).

''would you understand that he doesn’t use the car every day to go to work, for example, or the decision to go to work by bus is something that is taken exceptionally today?''

We can understand that if you contextualize or giving us your understading of the word
    When you say :'' Não levo o carro, mesmo que esteja pouco trânsito

I can think in thousand reasons of you don't drive.

he doesn't use the car every day to go to work . he doesnt drive it , even if on the road has a few traffic.
    you see the difference?

now i can understand the reason of he wont drive.

lets check it
    or the decision to go to work by bus is something that is taken exceptionally today?''

Não levo o carro, mesmo que tenha pouco trânsito< as i said, you dont know the reason of he dont drive the car.

how will you know that he's going to take a bus to go to work exceptionally in this day.

My friend learn Portuguese is a hard way, just ask your doutbs and practice it a lot.

< Previous | Next >