used any handy rubble in the making

< Previous | Next >

longxianchen

chinese
Hi
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(
para.9) by Lawrence (the University of Adelaide, here):
"Whereas Clifford discovered new channels of publicity, all kinds. He had all kinds of people at Wragby, without exactly lowering himself. But, determined to build himself a monument of a reputation quickly, he
used any handy rubble in the making."

I feel it is a metaphor meaning: used any ways, including illegal, dishonest, unjust ways, during the process of making the monument of publicity. Am I right? If not, what does "used any handy rubble in the making" mean please?

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Hi
    Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover by Lawrence (the University of Adelaide, here):
    "Whereas Clifford discovered new channels of publicity, all kinds. He had all kinds of people at Wragby, without exactly lowering himself. But, determined to build himself a monument of a reputation quickly, he
    used any handy rubble in the making."

I feel it is a metaphor meaning: used any ways, including illegal, dishonest, unjust ways, during the process of making the monument of publicity. Am I right? If not, what does "used any handy rubble in the making" mean please?

Thank you in advance
    I don't think that " including illegal, dishonest, unjust ways," is justified. The people whom he invited to Wragby were not particularly high-class, established authorities, intellectual or even well-educated, but these were the people he used to build his reputation through publicity.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    It is a metaphor based on the word "monument". The literal use of monument is typically applied to some kind of (usually) stone structure. Typically they are built from specially cut and carved stone, whereas "any handy rubble" means any rough pieces of unwanted stone lying around, typically following the demolition of a building. The metaphor means that he did not care much what the nature of the publicity was. It doesn't mean that it was dishonest.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    In my opinion it means "he sought publicity indiscriminately in order to build his reputation". There is an important difference between indiscriminate and unscrupulous.

< Previous | Next >