User(s) Gathering

meijin

Japanese
Hi, what do you call an event where users of a particular product, brand or product category gather for the purpose of sharing information (e.g. on how to better use the product), getting to know one another, etc.? Is "user(s) gathering" the term?

e.g.
- I've participated in a TOYOTA users gathering a couple of times in the past.
- Let's hold a user gathering so that we can meet other golf gear users.

• Glenfarclas

English (American)
    It probably depends on the type of product and the nature of the gathering. For instance, cars don't have "users" at all; they have "owners" and/or "drivers." If you could be more specific, perhaps we could suggest a phrasing that works for the particular case you have in mind.

meijin

Japanese
    More specific examples would be: users of Callaway (golf club brand), users of Pokemon Go (game app?), users of mac computers.

Dretagoto

Inglés británico
    Mac users have/had a very specific name for this, which is a "Mac Users' Group" (MUG). For something more modern like Pokémon Go, then "meetup" is a commonly used term.
    Would users of a golf club brand have an event? If so, I think it most likely there would be a club/organisation - for example Callaway Owners' Club - and then there would be something like a Callaway Owner's Club Meeting, or something similar.

meijin

Japanese
    Thanks Dretagoto. I didn't know "meetup". Having just checked a couple of threads about it, it seems to be the very term I was looking for. :)
    I need to decide which of the three options you mentioned to use depending on what product category the thing used by the users belong to.

Dretagoto

Inglés británico
    I don't think you'll find any hard and fast rule, but nowadays "meetup" is pretty common and could be used for quite a lot of these things, I imagine (even if it is not a very formal term).

If you find more examples at some point, and you're unsure, then stick them in this thread and with a few more examples hopefully you can get a good idea of what to use, and when.

< Previous | Next >