users of tea

Discussion in 'English Only' started by meijin, Jan 11, 2019.

1. meijin

meijin Senior Member

Tokyo
    Japanese
    Hi, the following sentences are from a report called AriZona Beverage USA, Inc. - Top Notch Advertising.

This report will focus on all users of ready-to-drink tea who consumed AriZona tea within the past six months.
    ---
    Based on our research from MRIplusonline.com and from our surveys we collected, we found that there are approximately 73 million RTD tea users.

Why does the report call them "users", instead of "drinkers" or "consumers"? You drink or consume tea, not use it.

2. BLUEGLAZE

BLUEGLAZE Senior Member

English - USA
    I believe it follows the idea that they used our product. Now, using tea usually means drinking it but that is not their concern.
    They are selling a product to be used however it will be used.

3. meijin

meijin Senior Member

Tokyo
    Japanese
    Thank you very much. So it's not odd for food/beverage companies to call their customers "users" (but it would be odd for general consumers to call people who eat/drink something "users").

4. BLUEGLAZE

BLUEGLAZE Senior Member

English - USA
    As to the idea you asked about, I understand it as I have stated.

5. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Cheshire
    English / England
    I am astonished at the numbers involved. I am not in this line of business but I wasn’t surprised to see « users » because it’s such a huge commercial enterprise.
    I would definitely be surprised to see a few individual customers referred to as « users ».

Slightly at a tangent but « user » is the noun applied to people who take/smoke/imbibe illicit drugs of any sort - regardless of how they actually get the drug into their body.

6. kentix

kentix Senior Member

English - U.S.
    Just to be clear, they are talking about cold ( iced) tea as an alternative to soft drinks and other cold beverages. You can buy it at any convenience store or gas station.

7. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    The article defines "uses of tea". Since they are defining "uses" it is not much of a leap for them to call drinkers "users". But since the only way to "use" tea is to drink it, I find it odd. (Unless tea is used for high colonics and I am not aware of it.:))

[...]Uses for RTD Teas As stated earlier, studies have shown that RTD tea consumers will use their RTD tea primary for health benefits or drink it with meals. Some users of the product will drink it to relax, while few other will drink it to be alert or as a reward [...]

8. coiffe

coiffe Senior Member

USA
    American English
    You're right -- "users" does sound odd (to me). Specifically for the reasons SuziBr cited.

9. meijin

meijin Senior Member

Tokyo
    Japanese
    Thank you all very much.

Oh...I didn't read this part of the report. Thanks Packard.

10. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    Maybe it was also to not repeat the verbs ‘drink’ and ‘consume’ in that sentence (‘ready-to-drink‘ and ‘consume’).

11. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    That might be the reason (but a stupid reason in my opinion). They ended up using “users” 24 times. I did not check “drink” for repeats.

In my opinion is is fine to repeat a word in a sentence if that word is the single best word to express the thought.

Note: I used “word” three times in the sentence above. What better way to say that? What better word?

I agree with Mejin, they should have used “drink”.

12. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    One of meanings of ‘user’ is to consume, so I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the word in that sentence. I’ve often heard and read the expression “tea user”.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  13. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    Not wrong, just odd.

We sat down on Thanksgiving to use some roast turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce for sustenance. :) Just odd, not wrong.

14. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    It has plenty of Google hits, so not everyone thinks it’s odd.

15. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    I did that search in quotation marks, and except for references to a book,Tea, A User’s Guide, most are references to an unrelated acronym or to tea as a medicinal product. You have to read the entries to get a feel for this.

I did not say it was weird, I said it was odd. The oddity is that a much better word is available (drinker) and the writer appears to deliberately avoid that word.

16. kentix

kentix Senior Member

English - U.S.
    My guess, as others have guessed above, is that it is marketing-speak.

17. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    I think you are right. I prefer “plain speak” myself.

18. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    :thumbsup:

‘Consumer’ is another common word used in the marketing world (in this context).

19. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    I didn't find it odd either, if we take it as marketing-speak (which it obviously is). I agree that 'tea drinker' would be more usual in common speech.

20. sound shift

sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    :thumbsup: You won't hear me describe myself as a "user of tea".

21. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima (English Only)

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    If you bought some Earl Grey tea to smoke some food (as described here for instance: How to tea smoke your foods), how would you describe yourself? I suppose 'user of tea' might fit the bill. ('Tea smoker' would give the wrong idea.) Otherwise, it does sound strange to me. (I'm speaking as an avid tea drinker.)

22. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    I daresay you're perfectly right, Nat .:)

I loathe tea in any form so I am neither a drinker nor a user, unless using cold tea to make bread pudding counts!