Using article "the"?

Fire Unknown

vietnamese
Hello. Please help me this annoying problem!
I'm editing a children's book about seven wonders of the World. In this book, the authors are not native speakers, and they wrote these specific places without article "the":
-It is Taj Mahal.
-It is Tower of Pisa.
At first, I thought it's okay, but there are some pages has article "the":
-It is the Great Pyramid of Giza.
-It is the Temple of Artemis.
These sentences really make me confused. After researching, this website-https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/-gives me some advice:
Do use the before:
  • names of rivers, oceans, and seas: the Nile, the Pacific
  • points on the globe: the Equator, the North Pole
  • geographical areas: the Middle East, the West
  • deserts, forests, gulfs, and peninsulas: the Sahara, the Persian Gulf, the Black Forest, the Iberian Peninsula
Unfortunately, I'm still not sure that adding "the" before each wonder's name is a right choice.
p/s: I'm really sorry for posting such as common problem. But my deadline is very near.

• Fire Unknown

vietnamese
    Sorry, that book is written about wonders of The World. The other wonders are Chichen Itza, Sanchi Stupa, St.Basil's Cathedral, Stonehenge, mount Everest. The only one that doesn't have "the" is Mount Everest since:
    Do not use "the" before:
    • names of mountains: Mount Everest, Mount Fuji except with ranges of mountains like the Andes or the Rockies or unusual names like the Matterhorn (advice from the website I posted above).

Last edited:

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I suppose that non-Christian 'Temples' follow a different rule from Christian churches, especially if they start with a saint's name.

Sometimes Christian churches do take a definite article: 'the Church of St Peter and St Paul'.

Fire Unknown

vietnamese
    I suppose that non-Christian 'Temples' follow a different rule from Christian churches, especially if they start with a saint's name.

Sometimes Christian churches do take a definite article: 'the Church of St Peter and St Paul'.
    Dear Hermione, Is it grammatically correct to write the sentences which I posted above without article the?

< Previous | Next >